Bergquist Sil-Pads or Mica for the MJ15024 TO-3 transistor?

mojoman

New Around These Parts
Hello Ed,

Another newbie to the Phoenix forum and trying to absorb as much as possible from the posts, mostly on Phase Linear right now.
I've recently purchased 36ea. On MJ15024 transistors for my PL Dual 500.
Been reading about the Bergquist Sil-Pads and was wondering which specific pad best fits the MJ15024 if I was to purchase some.
I'm confused by all the different size pads that are offered along with all the different series of pads available at Bergquist.
Also, is this the best way to go whenever upgrading output transistors or should I stay with the original mica pad with grease approach?

Thanks for your time!
Mojo

mojoman

New Around These Parts
Perfect, thank you for the quick reply and links to the correct Sil-Pad number to order.

This forum has been invaluable for me, and I appreciate all those who have been willing to share their expertise.

My local vintage repair shop is swamped with repair orders and not taking any more units in for a few months, so I decided to do a few minor upgrades myself.

May eventually have to take Perry's advice and sell the Dual 500 and purchase a WOPL 700 as a replacement, we'll see.

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Are you thinking of new transistor? If so 34 mj21196 with original 4 rca410 or better 4 mj21195’s
if you have the nerve and are able you could do some serious upgrades to that puppy
PM me if interested or search my dual 500 builds in this forum

mojoman

New Around These Parts
Good morning, Grapplesaw,

Yes, I've scoured over everything on the D-500 builds you've posted - incredibly amazing work btw (I'm jealous) - along with a few other topics.

When I got this unit, I had no idea the D-500 was considered rare compared to the 700's or 400's - totally surprised about that.

No, I actually don't have the nerve or skills to totally upgrade this thing, just the easy stuff like filter caps, etc.

Maybe someday I'll end up shipping this one to you...

"Long Live the Lightning Bolt WOPL 1000"