Optical phono cartridge!

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Thanks for that comment, Joe. I went straight to 12:00 in and found that it's as accurate anything out there and some folks may not like that. I checked the price, which isn't outrageous at $2500, but ya gotta have the phono preamp ($3500) to go with it. That doesn't move it into outrageous territory for me, (the $50,000 cartridges are there...) but it definitely moves it into of the "no way am I considering it" category at $6,000 total.

Nice, but thanks anyways.

That said, I'm truly impressed by the engineering, which I read some of in an Absolute Sound report on it.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Thanks for that comment, Joe. I went straight to 12:00 in and found that it's as accurate anything out there and some folks may not like that. I checked the price, which isn't outrageous at $2500, but ya gotta have the phono preamp ($3500) to go with it. That doesn't move it into outrageous territory for me, (the $50,000 cartridges are there...) but it definitely moves it into of the "no way am I considering it" category at $6,000 total.

Nice, but thanks anyways.

That said, I'm truly impressed by the engineering, which I read some of in an Absolute Sound report on it.
And he said that was the entry level model. A curiosity for sure. At least the blue LED was pretty cool.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Although you still need a clean record. Yes the dirt won’t be ground into the vinyl but if something is in the groove it will be seen, and therefore heard.

Considering how long well cared for records last on a well set up conventional system, I don’t see the point at all.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Although you still need a clean record. Yes the dirt won’t be ground into the vinyl but if something is in the groove it will be seen, and therefore heard.

Considering how long well cared for records last on a well set up conventional system, I don’t see the point at all.
Ar, ar, ar....

And yup. I'm finally at the point where I'll play a record now unless I'm just too lazy to do needle drops only on the songs I like, which is what the digitized songs are for. The TT system is good enough and set up well enough and I'm old enough that the minute amount of damage that may occur from one playing doesn't matter anymore.

borchee

Journeyman
Jim, the name is a bit deceiving. The optical portion refers to the system replacing moving magnets/coils. It still plows through the record with a stylus.

Last edited: