What if...

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
[QUOT)E="Oldskoolfan, post: 345809, member: 4520"]What if all you had was a pl400 transformer. Could build a complete WOPL 400?[/QUO

I have a transformer on the shelf and thought of how to is it. you can buy am 400 for 200-400 any day of the week so not very practical

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
[QUOT)E="Oldskoolfan, post: 345809, member: 4520"]What if all you had was a pl400 transformer. Could build a complete WOPL 400?[/QUO

I have a transformer on the shelf and thought of how to is it. you can buy am 400 for 200-400 any day of the week so not very practical
not always about being practical!!!
lolol
ive done a lot worst!!!

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
No, saw a complete pl 400 transformer on the bay. Started daydreaming about a White Oak 400 build. I mean if the only thing Phase Linear is the transformer, it's not a Phase Linear anymore right?
Even the faceplates have become aftermarket! I had that same daydream, all I needed to do was buy a transformer and “frankenstein” the whole thing…

Although no longer a de facto Phase Linear, Joe’s circuits were developed from that embryonic design from Bob Carver. They were the dawn of the consumer “superamp,” and others followed suit. Carver’s design flaws became apparent, Joe found solutions to them.

With this in mind, the White Oak Model One cut the last tie, the “anchor,” of what Phase Linear was by the design of his power supply and power distribution within the amplifier. More or less, we “White Oak Builders” were assembling prototypes of “the One” for years. Hundreds (if not thousands…) of White Oak rebuilds are around the world, everyone in possession of one claim it to be the best they’ve heard.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
The "acid test" for a new amp would be head to head with the Benchmark AHB2. That little sucker is serious, and the specs (AND sonics) have impressed many...

I may replace my Counterpoint amps with a pair of these little guys, but I want to do my own head-to-head test and see if I get along with the things first.