Best OPPO CD/SACD Player?

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
I am suddenly attracted to a gently used CD Player. My understanding is the now-defunct OPPO company made some good ones. I don't need video, just audio outputs.

Is there a recommendation or a consensus out there for the one to look for? I was thinking BDP-105, but I am open to those with other experiences.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
UDP-205...or UDP-203. Both excellent players.

Not sure OPPO is defunct, just changed focus to hi definition wireless speakers.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
If you are playing CDs only, find a proper transport. Early Philips up to CDM9 (pro preferred).

Still easy to find parts and metal not plastic.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
BDP-105 is what I run,. only one better and that's a UDP-205....but that one will make ya pucker. 105's go anywhere from 500 to 2000....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I've run a DV-981 for a few years but there is a definite difference when ya move on up to the 105.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
What's the difference between the 203 and 205? Them 205's are gettying stupid money. Any worse and you can buy a Wadia...

mlucitt

So I don't think I need the UDP-XXX (Ultra High Definition Player) because that is for video. The BDP-XXX (Blue-Ray Disc Player) seems more middle of the road between the UDP Series and the DV (Digital Video) Series. The BDP-105 IS nice, but I found a BDP-83 that may fit the bill (small bills).

Thanks for the inputs, I didn't know there were so many models.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The 205 is top of the line for audio...read some test and reviews for the 203 and 205's....the 205 originally sold for 1300. They are bringing 2500 to 4000 used now..

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
The 205 is top of the line for audio...read some test and reviews for the 203 and 205's....the 205 originally sold for 1300. They are bringing 2500 to 4000 used now..
Yes, top of the mark for the UDP-205. Well designed and top of the line components used.

dcmeigs

New Around These Parts
Mark, you NEED an OPPO player. Know that OPPO has a wonderful warranty program. About $150 IIRC flat rate repair including return shipping. My BDP-95 was returned very quickly. If you were to buy one off of fleabay that was sold for parts or repair you could have it shipped directly to OPPO for repair. There a a couple of caveats, it’s got to be complete and it can’t be water damaged - flood for instance. I’d recommend you check their web site for the full first hand account. I love my oppo for critical listening because it does sound wonderful but I still use a five disc changer for convenience when I’m just listening casually.

The build quality and component selection is top shelf too. A used BDP-95 like mine can be had for about 300 last I checked.

Edit: It’s mid five hundreds now. Is been about 4 months since I last checked. I had mine repaired in February. The flat rate fee was $139 and that includes shipping.

Last edited:
Tagline
Born and Raised In The 700 Watt Club.
Lee is correct. Used ones go for a LOT of $$ now. They were expensive even new. But WORTH the cost. I paid roughly $1,200-$1,300 when NEW. The latter UDP knowing they were on the verge of going defunct and they wouldn't sell direct-to-consumer anymore. There was a wait list even for existing owners. Which is the only reason I got one. They are audiophile grade top notch products that eclipse devices three times their price.

This ain't so bad though.......OPPO BDP-105 3D Blu-ray Player 898072002110 | eBay

I know we talked a lot about them here on the forum when they were originally released and a lot of people agreed they were expensive THEN. Now the original price looks like a steal. I have both the BDP-105 and the UDP-205. The BDP is a top-notch audio dream to listen to and I have it in my audio-only 2-channel system as a reference player for SACD's and the like. I use the UDP upstairs in the "theater room" for the movies. They are heavy as hell for a blue-ray player. No doubt the large toroid being a factor along with the heavy AWG aluminum chassis.

One of the differences between the two besides the UHD aspect was the "smart" menu. They were more geared to a "home entertainment" player with 'apps' and the like in the main scroll menu back on the BDP. They did away with that in the UDP. More of a Utilitarian no bones about it top of the line audio/video player in the end of OPPO's run. But I suspect 99% of us here don't care about the APPS in a high-end audio player.........

OPPO BDP-205.jpg OPPO UDP-205.jpg

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
When I built my home audio A/V system back in 2017, I bought an Oppo UDP-203. The UDP-205 was just too over-the-top for pricing for my needs in an A/V system.

The UDP-203 is in the rack slot below the Sony TC-WR97ES dual-well cassette deck. I, also, use a Pioneer CLD-95 Reference LaserDisc player, second rack slot from the bottom.

0fb9a0a6-2e53-4649-a882-a2e16ef53020_zpsygb9okrh (1).jpg

A classic LaserDisc movie:

Nando.