what are you listening to?

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
ABC has a couple of oddball jazz labels, as I recall. I have a Scott Bradford album released on their Probe label. Not sure what the different labels were meant to accomplish. Marketing, I guess...

Edit: also, it looks like MCA picked up the Impulse label in the 1990s. I have a remastered 180 gr. Duke Ellington & John Coltrane disc dated 1997. One of the classics with them, Elvin Jones, Aaron Bell, Jimmy Garrison, and Sam Woodyard.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Impulse is a great label for jazz and hard bop. This one is green and very odd… I guess ABC acquired them at some point and tried to become part of the family which I see as a very bad idea if true.

Own them but leave them alone. You try to jam mainstream down the throats of the fringe and sales tank. Perhaps that’s exactly what happened… But Impulse alone with the iMPULSE! logo is always a safe bet for me.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Using a Radio Shack/Shure R25XT right now that I bought new long ago. Very good smooth velvety sound, but think I'll go back to the Shure M91ED.
Seems like the M91ED is just more detailed.
Had the M91ED on my first AR in the 70s and 80s. It was a good match and might have been why my Dynaco SCA-80Q sounded a bit better playing records than other sources.