So I Did It ! My First Mcintosh MC2125

VSAT88

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Naw I would bet not. Should they not be removed for shipping? I bought mine local. At 85 lbs. I would not want to know I had to ship it.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
That's why I bought mine. Wanted to hear what all the fuss was about with the autoformer/transformer outputs Lee. So far I am not overly impressed. I will have to say that I have not given the amplifier any real listening time nor have I taken it down to check all the components.
Quote from over at the evil A.K.
"
The McIntosh Autoformer

Transistor power output circuits can match 8-ohm loads directly. This eliminates the need for the output transformer for most manufacturers. However, output stages that are designed to operate into an optimum load of 8 ohms can double or quadruple heat dissipation when operating into 4 or 2 ohm loads. At some frequencies, speakers rated at 8 ohms can dip as low as 4 ohms. Some 4-ohm systems can dip even lower. This mismatch can cause the amplifier to exceed its thermal dissipation limits.

On the other hand, if an amplifier is designed for an optimum load of one or two ohms, a low impedance load would be no problem. However, less power would be available for a speaker having 4 or 8 ohms impedance.

The unique McIntosh output autoformer was the answer. Since McIntosh output stages were connected in a single ended push-pull circuit, one side of the output was always connected to ground. They were typically designed to work into an optimum load of 2.1 ohms. The matching autoformer was connected directly to the output. In the MC2505 amplifier, the matching output was for 4, 8 and 16 ohms. Other impedances became available in later amplifiers. Full continuous amplifier power could be delivered to each of these loads. There qas no danger of exceeding safe limits or overheating.

The autoformer also protected the speakers from damage in the event of amplifier failure. Should a direct current component appear at the amplifier output, it was shunted by the low DC resistance of the autoformer, instead of passing through the speaker voice coil, which could damage the speaker or even cause a fire.

McIntosh autoformers continued to be used in the "top-of-the-line" amplifiers. They were all designed and manufactured by McIntosh. Although the autoformers added extra cost, weight and took up extra space, they assured a safe, optimum match to a variety of speakers and speaker hook-ups. They were constructed and performed in the McIntosh tradition of excellence. "

We will see right?

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
That's why I bought mine. Wanted to hear what all the fuss was about with the autoformer/transformer outputs Lee. So far I am not overly impressed. I will have to say that I have not given the amplifier any real listening time nor have I taken it down to check all the components.
"
The McIntosh Autoformer

Transistor power output circuits can match 8-ohm loads directly. This eliminates the need for the output transformer for most manufacturers. However, output stages that are designed to operate into an optimum load of 8 ohms can double or quadruple heat dissipation when operating into 4 or 2 ohm loads. At some frequencies, speakers rated at 8 ohms can dip as low as 4 ohms. Some 4-ohm systems can dip even lower. This mismatch can cause the amplifier to exceed its thermal dissipation limits.

On the other hand, if an amplifier is designed for an optimum load of one or two ohms, a low impedance load would be no problem. However, less power would be available for a speaker having 4 or 8 ohms impedance.

The unique McIntosh output autoformer was the answer. Since McIntosh output stages were connected in a single ended push-pull circuit, one side of the output was always connected to ground. They were typically designed to work into an optimum load of 2.1 ohms. The matching autoformer was connected directly to the output. In the MC2505 amplifier, the matching output was for 4, 8 and 16 ohms. Other impedances became available in later amplifiers. Full continuous amplifier power could be delivered to each of these loads. There qas no danger of exceeding safe limits or overheating.

The autoformer also protected the speakers from damage in the event of amplifier failure. Should a direct current component appear at the amplifier output, it was shunted by the low DC resistance of the autoformer, instead of passing through the speaker voice coil, which could damage the speaker or even cause a fire.

McIntosh autoformers continued to be used in the "top-of-the-line" amplifiers. They were all designed and manufactured by McIntosh. Although the autoformers added extra cost, weight and took up extra space, they assured a safe, optimum match to a variety of speakers and speaker hook-ups. They were constructed and performed in the McIntosh tradition of excellence. "

We will see right?
i would like to hear one too....

krellmk

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Are you satisfied with the life you're living
I have here MAC2505 the reviews say this is the best MAC amplifier has a tubey sound don't think i listen to it 2 session been sitting here for the past 5 years has a shelf fixture with other MAC stuff i got

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
"
The McIntosh Autoformer

We will see right?
Doesn't do much for damping factor. If the intention was to make it safe to drive any speaker, theres going to be a lot of tradeoffs.
Give me damping factor or give me death...

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Same one here, 2205. I ain't gonna lie I ain't never heard no McIntosh gear in a home before. I ain't no money man so only wanted one because a lot of folks say they are the shit and they do look pretty bad ass. Well, I finally got the chance to buy on at a pretty good price. Funny you say that about dampening factor Lee. Looks like this amp has none. Is a PL 400 stock not like 1000? 16668030241083712686778597072783.jpg

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Same one here, 2205. I ain't gonna lie I ain't never heard no McIntosh gear in a home before. I ain't no money man so only wanted one because a lot of folks say they are the shit and they do look pretty bad ass. Well, I finally got the chance to buy on at a pretty good price. Funny you say that about dampening factor Lee. Looks like this amp has none. Is a PL 400 stock not like 1000? View attachment 70249

Yep...