PC Power Supplies

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
When you work in a hospital you get used to it. Or get gone. :) I don't even notice them now.
Johnny was a well known PSU reviewer before going to Corsair, the dark side, a couple years ago. His site is down now.

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
A good pc psu reaches its efficiency peak at 40-60% load. Always allow for headroom so it is not working hard, very good chance of it lasting beyond its warranty. Dont buy cheap crap without power factor correction, 80 plus gold or higher efficiency is desired. When cheap psus die, they take out components. I learnt my lesson many years ago. I have had 1 high quality psu die as it dropped its 3.3 volt rail, the other 3 I bought have lasted a very long time 5 years plus.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
I don't remember what was in my Ivy Bridge build, I think it was a 700W Corsair in a Cooler Master HAF case. I gave it to my kid brother after I sold the MoBo and GPU. On a somewhat related note I totally recapped a no-name AT power supply for my Kryoflux/3.5/5.25 floppy rig

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I don't remember what was in my Ivy Bridge build, I think it was a 700W Corsair in a Cooler Master HAF case. I gave it to my kid brother after I sold the MoBo and GPU. On a somewhat related note I totally recapped a no-name AT power supply for my Kryoflux/3.5/5.25 floppy rig
It's the cold weather up north affecting your "Floppy Rig". Try staying zipped up on the way in from the outhouse. :)

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Just built a gaming system for a track car simulator project..Aorus Elite LGA 1200 motherboard, 16GB Ram, i9 processor...Corsair Capellix water cooling for the CPU, Corsair case...and a Nvidia 3080 Founder's graphics adapter - all powered by a Corsair 850W Gold ATX power supply. I am blown away by the quality of the Corsair products and the PS modular cable system. The cables are incredibly well-made, far heavier gauge than needed. I'm amazed at the quality and at the $150 price point.

jaclinlunderman5

New Around These Parts
If you upgrade your SSD, don't forget to back up all your data. Improving the performance of your operating system will allow you to use your computer's capabilities even better. Everyone fears losing all the data accumulated over several years, especially if it is related to work activities. There is no need to panic and get upset because there are already ways to recover them. For example, I used the services of the company salvagedata.com. I think that anyone at least once deleted or lost data from a computer, hard drive, flash drive, etc. I hope my advice was helpful to you.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
A good pc psu reaches its efficiency peak at 40-60% load. Always allow for headroom so it is not working hard, very good chance of it lasting beyond its warranty. Dont buy cheap crap without power factor correction, 80 plus gold or higher efficiency is desired. When cheap psus die, they take out components. I learnt my lesson many years ago. I have had 1 high quality psu die as it dropped its 3.3 volt rail, the other 3 I bought have lasted a very long time 5 years plus.
Current build PSU. Seasonic has been my go to over the years.
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-pri...1300pd/p/N82E16817151214?Item=N82E16817151214

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Just built a gaming system for a track car simulator project..Aorus Elite LGA 1200 motherboard, 16GB Ram, i9 processor...Corsair Capellix water cooling for the CPU, Corsair case...and a Nvidia 3080 Founder's graphics adapter - all powered by a Corsair 850W Gold ATX power supply. I am blown away by the quality of the Corsair products and the PS modular cable system. The cables are incredibly well-made, far heavier gauge than needed. I'm amazed at the quality and at the $150 price point.
Never been disappointed with Corsair products. And that's going back to the 1990s.

George S.

Been running a EVGA 1000 watt SuperNOVA in the Lenovo work station for years. I buy nothing new, most is ex bit coin mining equipment. Used high end video cards respond well to new thermal paste, never had one fail yet, though I did have to replace the fans on a MSI Twin Frozr after a couple years use. All my boot drives are used Samsung Evo. Storage drives are Hitachi or Western Digital. I usually go for the cheapest listing of what I want from a reputable seller. Not a gamer, so I don't need or want to pay for the latest greatest. But I do like to sometimes run three monitors.
Probably the greatest advance I've seen is newer components not needing those big power supplies.

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Running a Corsair RM850x in the main rig, has been reliable.

Other PSUs from the past:
Skyhawk 600 Watt (Lasted less than 2 years, capacitor popped and squealing sound, this was my lesson on buying a cheap Psu)
Antec Neo Power 550 (Sold it when it was about 3 years old)
Antec Signature 650 (Hammered with Gaming, Lasted 3.5 years, 3.3v rail failed, replaced with the Thermaltake Under Warranty)
Thermaltake Toughpower 750w (Hammered with Gaming, More than 5 Years old, Still going)

No longer a Gamer so the Corsair should last a very long time, it has a 10 year warranty.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Well they are humorous...

• A new build should feel new
  • 3-Piece panoramic glass with 3-times more satisfying plastic wrap removal.
  • We know how much you just spent on that GPU, so we threw in the riser cable.
  • Cold floor cooling keeps thermals lower than a partly cloudy day with a light breeze and you without your jacket.
  • Check out this crown molding right there.