what are you listening to?

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
Hello Jim,
I chuckled when I saw that album. I teach technical college, and my students always try to stump me to see if I know certain bands, especially vinyl. The more age gets between me and them, the harder this is. A group of them, maybe 20 years ago asked me if I had that album...which I did not, and I had to face the music ( pun intended) that I did not know the band. They then proceeded to burn a disc for me. I have never played it through.... so I understand why that one is mint. It's early electronic stuff, and wasn't anything I would listen to..........you may want a couple more Black and Tan's! Who knows it may catch on.
Thanks for sharing it.

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
This record doesn’t suck! (So far)

sort of dance jazz, or something. Electronica meets funk in a high speed train wreck. Let’s see what happens as we get deeper into it.

Finished “shelf wobbler” (side a) and now into “sweet smoke champion nibble” (side b)

Tagline
Lifelong student / listening = bliss
This guy was born in 1992 in Lithuania. Same age as my oldest girl.
Thanks for sharing a great find!

After watching the 'Santana request' you linked to, I then watched his impromptu response to a request from an old dude (who could have been my brother) for an Allman Brothers tune. What he did was mind-boggling:

1) 'Uploaded' the unfamiliar song via phone,
2) Thinks for a moment, then dismounts current guitar & pulls out a guitar featuring a bowling-pin body. (?)
3) Starts layering tracks
4) and begins playing...live in front of people.

Talk about walking a tightrope without a safety net - wow.

Look at the sum total of what he was able to create/share off the cuff in ~11 minutes total elapsed time. Shoot, if I manage to polish the hood of my car with some Mirror Glaze in 11 minutes my head swells for the rest of the day from the sense of accomplishment. eff me - yet another humbling experience, but in the best possible way.

The man is obviously a savant. gifted. (edit: His musical ability is gifted, but in addition his mental acuity is off the charts, savant-style. But unlike Rainman, he's able to blend in & interact with us normal folks. According to this article in Scientific American, there is a special category called Prodigious Savants:

"To date, fewer than 100 prodigious savants have been documented. Interestingly, there is almost always no “dreaded trade-off ” between the incredible skills of savants and their development of language, social skills, and daily living functioning."

Apologies for the rabbit-hole, but this guy defies a one or two word description. Very cool.

Again, thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:
Tagline
Lifelong student / listening = bliss
Listening to something I haven't heard this century - egocentric molecules

Jean-Luc-Ponty-Cosmic-Messenger-FLAC-1978.jpg
This brings back memories.
1) If I was driving 55 when the song started, invariably by the end of the song I would look down and the speedo would be showing 75+

2) At home, by the end of the bass solo the D500 fan would be on...and this didn't happen all that often.

The guitar solo > bass solo > violin solo > synth solo were all good.

Don't know what it was, but I was coming from the Grand Funk/Led Zeppelin/Black Sabbath/Deep Purple vector, but thanks to a local low-power college FM radio station I got exposed to this...and I liked it a lot. Man, I miss those daze when there was so much good stuff to discover at the bottom of the dial!

Enjoy -