I might actually use that Tascam recorder…

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I bought it like two years ago and have about ten minutes of use on it.

But the band is getting back together (a quartet to start) so I want to capture the sessions.

Started looking at
Mics again and I’m leaning toward the AKG 420 again. Multi-pattern large diaphragm for reasonable money.

Open to comments and suggestions.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
I don't know if it sounds like a Telefunken, but I modified an MXL 990 with a new (actual large diaphragm) capsule and circuit mod and its pretty smooth. Ironically I use it for SSB voice on my ham rig, which allows a huge bandwidth of 2.8khz lol

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Some of those MXLs are decent out of the box.

I preferred to use the Sennheiser 421 on my toms. They recorded very naturally.

A pair of cheap ribbons might do the trick. Ultimately the two mics will be used to record the performances- maybe all the horns will be back by then. We’re just limiting the spittle and hot air blasting during the Delta. Hopefully the Epsilon variant is not as bad.

I’m just putting the two mics on a single stand, set 90 degrees apart. It should sound as if your standing in the room listening.

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
If it was good enough for Frank then what can ya say? Hell I'd probably sound good using one of those! Not Even!!!

J!m

Tagline
BOT
D2CD9616-DC57-420F-AC82-0DA4C65DA3A3.jpeg

Tweaked the settings a bit. Auto leveling (so it can run unattended) and set max input at -1dB. It has a 1/4-20 tripod thread on the bottom so I just need to mount it and push record.

A remote would be nice, so I can start and stop from my kit. I think they have a wired remote for it; not wireless.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
That's a nice recorder, Jim. I like the form factor of these 2 channel recorders. How are the mic preamps? If they're anything like my UH-7000, they're pretty damn fine.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
It even has redundant power- internal Li battery and 2x AA batteries. And you select the type of AAa to have a more accurate “fuel gage”. You can hot swap AAs to support the on-board battery.

You can also supplement with bolt-on AA pack that uses the usb charge port.

Best of all? It’s not made of plastic!

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Something to keep your eye out for - a KEL Audio HM-7. They're rare as hen's teeth and don't come up on the used market often. For good reason. Very, very smooth. Large diaphragm condenser that the bluegrass folks swear by so they don't have to carry their U-47s or 87s on the road. Am beginning to regret letting mine go but I'm not doing any kind of recording any more.