Phase linear 700b speaker terminals

v65magna

Journeyman
Hello everyone hope all is well , my question is I stalled the watts abundant speaker board ,, but it seems the holes on the speaker binding posts are a lot smaller than the original posts, I cannot insert my 12 gauge speaker wire into the holes , no way they are going in , is there some of trick to getting them in those smaller holes , or did I get sent the wrong binding posts with the kit any help would be appreciated , Peter here’s a few pics 100F7AB6-02C9-45C2-9BA7-492EBE321B91.jpeg 88149FE1-6429-4B38-8F93-E5E44D07A9A9.jpeg 100F7AB6-02C9-45C2-9BA7-492EBE321B91.jpeg

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Tin the wires and wrap around the post, or solder Nanner Jacks on your wires, or solder spade connectors on the wires

George S.

Looking at your photo, what's up with the extra nylon insulator under the white post?

v65magna

Journeyman
Thanks for helping me out I appreciate it ,,Where would I purchase these pins , , I wonder y watts abundant kit didn’t come with bigger insert holes on the binding posts , the hole on the new binding posts are a lot smaller , would of solved everything if the holes were the same as the original posts

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Just put speaker pins in Google or Bing and you will come up with plenty of places that sell them.

v65magna

Journeyman
Just put speaker pins in Google or Bing and you will come up with plenty of places that sell them.
I got theses forks , good for 12 gauge wire,, I’ll solder the wire in to these , they are not gold ,will that compromise the B2450ECA-F1AB-4383-9212-DED4AF5AD7FE.jpeg sound thanks Peter

George S.

They all have that nylon insulator on all the posts they are just defferent colours
Yes, I see that now, on my phone it looked like there was a extra nylon insulator under the top white post. Enjoy, hope it sounds good.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Thanks for helping me out I appreciate it ,,Where would I purchase these pins , , I wonder y watts abundant kit didn’t come with bigger insert holes on the binding posts , the hole on the new binding posts are a lot smaller , would of solved everything if the holes were the same as the original posts
Radioshack.com has good screw-down-onto-the-wire type bananna plugs. Binding posts are great for AM crystal radios, not for real speaker wires. Fahnestock clips are better than those binding posts if you’re gonna use bare wire.

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
Radioshack.com has good screw-down-onto-the-wire type bananna plugs. Binding posts are great for AM crystal radios, not for real speaker wires. Fahnestock clips are better than those binding posts if you’re gonna use bare wire.
Never thought I’d hear “Fahnestock clips” on this forum...

also, you don’t need 12ga wire for an average living room installation. I use 12ga wire in my shop were the runs are 80 feet long to run inside the walls, across the attic and to the cabinets. I’m also pushing 3200w through each pair of 12ga wire... there are charts online to determine loss over distance at different gauges and a 700b doesn’t need 12ga unless your speakers are something like 400’ away... just my $0.02.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
No but the insulator will melt if you solder to those. They are meant to be crimped.
I remove the plastic, crimp, then solder, apply electrical tape just to protect against shorting. Then I tighten "gently" with needle nose. Seems good but I would love to have better connectors in this place. Not alot of real estate there though.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Never thought I’d hear “Fahnestock clips” on this forum...

there are charts online to determine loss over distance at different gauges and a 700b doesn’t need 12ga unless your speakers are something like 400’ away... just my $0.02.
I always associated “binding post” with old Atwater- Kent and (GASP!) Crosley radios from the 30s and 40s where they were used for antenna connections, etc. I had one of those electronic exploration sets from Sears when I was a kid, all the connections were fahnestock clips. Funny how that sprang forth from ancient memories!

Regarding the loss over distance issue, I once heard that electrons travelled on the surface of a conductor, not actually through it, and resistance was reduced by using a greater number of strands in a wire. I question that theory because house wiring uses single strand solid wire. Whatcha think, gurus? Is this correct?