R SILVER 7t's worth a squirt?

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Seen a couple sets on the web for sale, just wondering if anyone has tried them or heard them. I may try to wrangle a pair but not if they suck.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Well if you can get a set of the original Silver 7's for cheap, I would be in awe. I think they weigh over 100lbs a piece. To retube a set your looking at a grand or more with the reissue Gold Lion KT88s

Here is the Cherry 7's

Ok, now I know what your talking about. Those are like 500+w magcoil monoblocks right? It would be cool to have a pair, I am sure they kick frippin ass!

Northwinds

Tagline
Those are pretty cool looking. I remember Lee or Joe talking about WO monoblocks with the single meter design like that

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
I know Lee, they are the cherry versions of the original black Silver Sevens. The one's Perry is talking about are 550wpc at 8ohms and 900wpc at 4ohms

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Interesting that the reviews say they are not that great at reproducing high power volume for all that horsepower they have. Then again, no tube amp really is that great for bass response anyway. This is why I left McIntosh equipment on the wayside back in the 90s. It looks good but at high output levels sounds like shit, the midrange masks everything

Northwinds

Tagline
One of these days I'm gonna tackle that project....
I thought you were already working at them a bit at a time. I imagine they will be incredibly expensive to do. Have you decided what you are going to use for power supplies?

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Hi Perry
carver built both a 7t and 9t 500 watt mono blocks like you have shown in th eBay listing , and as far as I know they are the same with rebadging as they updated their line up. You should be able to pick up a pair for $1500 to $1800. The are tweeked to have some sound quality more like tubes as he did with the carver 4.0t amps. I think he added some items in the sound path to do this. They would make for a good upgrade project and suggest cleaning up the control board for a more natural sound like the Phase

The tube one Ron has talked about can be a "do it yourself project". Bob has published the full schematic for them. if you google Bob Caver and go to his latest web site it may be there. I will look and see if I saved the info when I get home next week

Good building

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Interesting that the reviews say they are not that great at reproducing high power volume for all that horsepower they have. Then again, no tube amp really is that great for bass response anyway. This is why I left McIntosh equipment on the wayside back in the 90s. It looks good but at high output levels sounds like shit, the midrange masks everything
I was under the impression that the 7T's were NOT tube. I'm not interested in any tube gear. I tried tubes, no thanks. " as the famous dude says... "Give me WOPL's, or give me death"