New Music coming out

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
DCFC cassette arrived.
Interestingly enough, it's an Atlantic Records release - but no noise reduction.
Can't wait to hear it on my system.

:happy2:

View attachment 19993
Why would you need dolby when it's an all digital master? The recording should be dead quiet/ It would seem a needless expense for Atlantic since there is no analog tape master component to worry about "hiss"

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Digital master transferred =/= dead quiet I'm afraid to say,
and that's not the reason (analog studio mastering...) Dolby was ever used on cassettes to be quite honest.

NR on compact cassettes was employed to knock down noise introduced during high-speed duplication, to a smaller degree,
but primarily engaged to mitigate noise introduced during playback - because of the nature of what happens between the gap & tape.
In other words, Dolby gets the signal above the relatively loud noise floor of the medium and the recording process during playback
- the recording process of creating the CC to begin with ...
not the recording process upstream.

It also helped the most on the lower grade of decks.

Why would you need dolby when it's an all digital master? The recording should be dead quiet/ It would seem a needless expense for Atlantic since there is no analog tape master component to worry about "hiss"

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
They've announced their 2015 Tour too.
Big year for these guys! They were on Jimmy Kimmel last night.
Can't wait til they get around to remastering 'Diver Down' and 'Fair Warning'.

On order. Waiting arrival.

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
It's basic brown, ferric type I stock. Nothing special.
No apparent NR. When I switch on Dolby B it gets crushed in dynamics - with C is pumps like I would expect it to.
During normal playback, VU levels are averaging 0 db.
That said, I hear d-range limiting/over-loading on the low end of the spectrum.
There's also what I would characterize as a typical amount of ferric hiss but nothing that
swamps out the listening experience.

Compared to a few Windham Hill CrO2 tapes I have laying around, that are phenomenally put together I might add,
this DCFC tape sounds just OK. There's good high-freq articulation considering the build.
I wish I had a car deck to try it in. The more folk-ie songs sound really nice and full.

Still pleased to have purchased new music on compact cassette.

DCFC cassette arrived.
Interestingly enough, it's an Atlantic Records release - but no noise reduction.
Can't wait to hear it on my system.

:happy2:

View attachment 19993

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Douglas: Thanks, I hadn't seen that box set, yet. I might just get the double CD set for now. I hope the mastering will be good on the Tokyo Dome Live 2013 because the mastering on the 2012 release of "A Different Kind Of Truth" was not good. Did anyone else find the same with that one?

Ben: So, you are going for the vinyl set?

Nando.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I hope the mastering will be good on the Tokyo Dome Live 2013 because the mastering on the 2012 release of "A Different Kind Of Truth" was not good. Did anyone else find the same with that one?
Can't speak for the vinyl but the CD was thin & basic IMHO.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Tony: That's cool that you bought the cassette title of DCFC. So from your review, it's probably an OK recording, but it was more of the uniqueness and novelty of having it on cassette tape that lured you?

Yes, the last studio album from Van Halen was just plain loud without any dynamic range. Perhaps, that's the way the band plays nowadays? I doubt it!

Nando.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Yes Nando. The coolness of the acquisition surely out shines the limitations of the format. And better yet, I thoroughly enjoy all the tracks.
So it's still a scroe/win of large proportions.
Admittedly, I auditioned it with my headphones, so there's really no way for the format to hide it's little flaws.
I'm eager to listen next through my floor standing B&Ws.

Tony: That's cool that you bought the cassette title of DCFC. So from your review, it's probably an OK recording, but it was more of the uniqueness and novelty of having it on cassette tape that lured you?

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
I have the record shop bringing in a vinyl copy for me. Lots of complaints about Dave's vocals on this live album around the internets. Still gotta have me a copy though.

About Different Truth, I cant speak for the vinyl, as my copy remains sealed. But I didnt mind the CD version all that much. Loud, yes, but still sounds fairly decent cranking it out on my system.

One of these days I need to find a Carnal Knowledge LP.

nobody

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I was feeling like I've not gotten around to much new music this year so far, but then last night made a quickie mix tape with a track each from everything I've grabbed this year, and I ended up with a solid hour mix. If anyone wants a copy, mostly electronic, noise, hip-hop and such with a couple fuzzy rock tunes in there just let me know and I can record a 60 minute cassette, or can upload if anyone just wants the digital files as I have 'em all in flac.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
They've announced their 2015 Tour too.
Big year for these guys! They were on Jimmy Kimmel last night.
Can't wait til they get around to remastering 'Diver Down' and 'Fair Warning'.
Eddie's amps sounding like SHIT on Kimmel. The Peavey 5150iii is one of the worst amps produced. It's funny because on stage, he actually has Friedman amps put inside the 5150iii chassis and this is a fact, I know the guy that takes care of his touring stuff through another friend and some of his amps were just there. All had Friedman's inside the Peavey head enclosures

Nick Danger

I was feeling like I've not gotten around to much new music this year so far, but then last night made a quickie mix tape with a track each from everything I've grabbed this year, and I ended up with a solid hour mix. If anyone wants a copy, mostly electronic, noise, hip-hop and such with a couple fuzzy rock tunes in there just let me know and I can record a 60 minute cassette, or can upload if anyone just wants the digital files as I have 'em all in flac.
Sounds like a fun tape.....chance fer a copy at your leisure?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
God, if it wasn't for my Fed-Ex account saving them, I'd have to ask every time too...

Elite-ist

Staff member
Perhaps, a copy down the road would be appreciated. How many copies are you to recording, now, Dave? A ferric tape with Dolby B or C would be my choice.

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
The VH live lp arrived. Need to pick it up yet. Deep pockets for this one... wow.