WOPL conversions on Dual 500?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I was just reading an old thread on some board that was harping the old Flame Linears but many were standing up for them also

I did find a reference to the 700s having a BiPolar 140v power supply so is the extra wire somehow related to that??? 140v transformer is some major power waiting to happen eh?
Extra wire???

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars

"The wire I am talking about is coming out of the inlet supply side wires on the transformer The color is gray in the unit I am rebuilding but varies in color in different units. It is capped off with a Teflon cap and tie rap "

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
"The wire I am talking about is coming out of the inlet supply side wires on the transformer The color is gray in the unit I am rebuilding but varies in color in different units. It is capped off with a Teflon cap and tie rap "
Pictures Ron? Are these the auxiliary for the light board power perchance? Those are usually small diameter gray wires.

The PL700 transformer is a 140VAC center tapped transformer. 70VAC on each side.

Northwinds

Tagline
Pictures Ron? Are these the auxiliary for the light board power perchance? Those are usually small diameter gray wires.

The PL700 transformer is a 140VAC center tapped transformer. 70VAC on each side.
Joe, I was referring to posts #41 and #50. I went searching online for an explanation and saw the reference to the Bipolar 140V supply

Northwinds

Tagline

I guess I am confused by tranny nomenclature (Nav won't touch that one methinks LMAO)

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Przems had it too Joe. Has something to do with a Ser II. Ron, rail voltage is determined by secondary voltage times 1.4...

70 volts AC after rectification becomes +100/-100 volts DC. There is no mystery winding that that ups the rail voltage...

The biPolar thing .....somebody was confused...

Northwinds

Tagline
Can you increase the output of a tranny rewinding it to higher specs? Is the magnet around it dictate what can be done? Interesting topic. We have a couple seriously huge tranny's out in the garage from General Cable machinery stashed somewhere in boxes under the bench. Deb's ex had them saved for some reason. IIRC they are at least twice the size as the ones on the PL's. Not sure what they were used for

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Przems had it too Joe. Has something to do with a Ser II. Ron, rail voltage is determined by secondary voltage times 1.4...

70 volts AC after rectification becomes +100/-100 volts DC. There is no mystery winding that that ups the rail voltage...

Bipolar essentially means center tapped. Center tapping a transformer produces 2 equal windings of half the voltage across the entire primary with each of the split windings 180 degrees out of phase with each other when measured with respect to the center tap.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Joe, I've been around trnsformers a long time and I've never heard them diagnosed as having a mental disorder.....now transistors, that's another story...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast

It is the split primary wiring to configure the transformer for either 120 or 240VAC operation.

For 120VAC operation the Brown and Blue are connected to one side of the 120V line. And the Brown/Yellow and Blue/Yellow are connected together to the other side of the AC line.

For 240VAC operation, the Brown wire is connected to one side of the 240VAC line. The Blue/Yellow wire is connected to the other side of the 240VAC line. The Blue and Brown/Yellow wires are connected to each other and tied off with heat shrink insulation over the flying connection.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
It is the split primary wiring to configure the transformer for either 120 or 240VAC operation.

For 120VAC operation the Brown and Blue are connected to one side of the 120V line. And the Brown/Yellow and Blue/Yellow are connected together to the other side of the AC line.

For 240VAC operation, the Brown wire is connected to one side of the 240VAC line. The Blue/Yellow wire is connected to the other side of the 240VAC line. The Blue and Brown/Yellow wires are connected to each other and tied off with heat shrink insulation over the flying connection.
Yerp, I know that....BUT in Glen's and Przems there is an extra wire........

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Glen's got on too. I believe they just threw another part winding in to power the IC's in the LED displays from the basic B transformer...that's just my guess though....if Glen would meter that bugger we would know...