WOPL conversions on Dual 500?

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Most of the posts (AHEM... ALL of the posts...) for the WOPL conversions have been on the PL 400s and 700s. Do any of these conversions apply to the Dual 500 amps?

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
They're duds? Didn't know that... Probably why I don't see many of them!
I have a D 500 and it is very busy inside the case. Wires going everywhere. I am going to tackle cleaning it up the next time it craps out.
I have soft spot for it and will never sell the unit. It could use a brother though, let me know if there is an other one out there
Glen

NavLinear

I have a D 500 and it is very busy inside the case. Wires going everywhere. I am going to tackle cleaning it up the next time it craps out.
I have soft spot for it and will never sell the unit. It could use a brother though, let me know if there is an other one out there
Glen
We'll keep our eyes peeled for you but when they hit the bay the price normally starts high and goes up from there. I haven't seen them often but if I see one surface I'll let you know.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Ebay

A unit with a burned control board went for around 600+/-. An other went for $1100 not working
an other went this week for close to $1800 so I do don't hold out much hope. Should have tried the burned board one but that is in the past. My 700 rebuild is the now!!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
With a WOPL 700 approaching and sometimes exceeding 500WPC, are the 500's idiosynchracies worth it?

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
With a WOPL 700 approaching and sometimes exceeding 500WPC, are the 500's idiosynchracies worth it?
No they are not.

But neither is a hot rod , doesn't mean I would have one. You know some things don't make sense you just gotta have one.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
LMOAO!! Thanks Glen.....sometime next year I'm gonna build a replacement for the D-500......

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Here is one on EBay #321596287999
let's see who can guess the selling price
I am guessing $1980 for when it was last produced

Phase Linear D-500 Amplifier

The D-500 was Phase Linear's most powerful and expensive amplifier.*Its designation came from its rated output of 505 watts per channel.*It was introduced in 1978 as the Dual 500 Series Two, even though there had been no "Series One", in order to coincide with the other Series Two components in the Phase Linear line.

Bob Carver had not completed the design of this amp when he left Phase Linear in 1977 to launch Carver Corporation.*The design was finalized by Phase Linear staff engineers in the closing months of 1977.The design differed considerably from the 400 and 700. The front panel layout was nearly identical to the 700 Series Two, but the comparison ends there.

*** The transformers (one for power and one for the AC relay) were mounted inside the metal enclosure.* The heat sinks were laid out horizontally, with speaker and other connections above the heat sink.*A cooling fan was used to draw heat away from the heat sinks.*Unless the amp was driven hard, the fan usually did not have to run.* List price was $1395.95 and tipped the scales at 70 pounds.

Later designated the D-500 due to a name dispute with the turntable manufacturer Dual, Phase Linear discontinued this amp after the 1980 model year when the list price reached a breath-taking $1600.*It was magnificent excess, and marked the zenith of Phase Linear

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
FWIW----the D-500 transformers will bolt up in a 700.....you've got both Glen...have you ever measured them?

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
FWIW----the D-500 transformers will bolt up in a 700.....you've got both Glen...have you ever measured them?
Well Lee I have not tested as I do not have a load centre big enough

The d500 runs at 120 and 85 rail volts. That's the hi low button. The unit will throttle down on it's own as it gets close to clipping, high temp or low impedance. So testing may be difficult.

I think there is Hugh potential to get 700+ per .

I want to fix the ground circuit up to star design.

I got the amp about 25 years ago from the tech at Commercial Electronics Karl
It was his personal unit. There has only been resistors and cap replacement done to the control board, time to go thru it is coming soon.

Here are some interesting links on the 500

http://www.dnaelectronics.ca/gallery/phase_linear_dual_500/phase_linear_dual_500_pics.htm
http://sub.basspig.com/basspig/D-500 mods.htm
http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/39810-6-redesign-carver-amplifier-phase-linear-corp

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
It was the only PL amp advertised to handle 2 ohm loads, but at 2 ohms it switched to the 85 volt winding. The 400 and 700 will now handle 2 ohm loads. We've had some members do it on the 400's and 700's. FredR has even defeated the internal waveform protection circuit to keep it fromoperating and he's had no problem running Kappa9s....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
No Glen I do not have one. I was talking to Ed on the phone one day and the subject came up. Ed says a 700 transformer will fit in a 500, I'm assuming the reverse would be true...

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
It was the only PL amp advertised to handle 2 ohm loads, but at 2 ohms it switched to the 85 volt winding. The 400 and 700 will now handle 2 ohm loads. We've had some members do it on the 400's and 700's. FredR has even defeated the internal waveform protection circuit to keep it fromoperating and he's had no problem running Kappa9s....
That's right. But at two ohms it is at much lower power and there are 36 tranistors to share the load

Here is an other image of the transformer

http://sub.basspig.com/basspig/images/D500_interior1.jpg

There was one 2 ohm 700 series one built. It is story in it's self for an other day. Bob built it for my brothers company and drove it up to Vancouver but they did not want it. So my brothers friend bought it and Bob got enough money to get back to the USA. I believe it still lives on in Ottawa.