Worn needle?

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
I've read a bit but is there something that's tell-tale that any of you are familiar with?
I had a few records skip on me that have normally been fine. In one spot on each, not really on a peak dynamic spot. One used record, one new pressing or two. The skips are permanent now it seems, as I tried the stock m97xe needle, which is fairly new and had the issue on those records still.

I haven't noticed any increase in sibilance, inner groove distortion or surface noise.
I've also tried cleaning and adjusting

However... The manufacturer, JICO, does say 500hrs to replacement, which doesn't seem very long to me but that's what's stated. I'm sure I'm at that or over as far as the hours are concerned.

Last edited:

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I have a lit 60x and I guess it's not powerful enough. Hard to see. Good enough to see if there is a collection of garbage on it but not the finest edges of the diamond itself.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Is your antiskate matched to the VTF (yours should be around 1g to 1.5g)? If not, that will cause a skip in spots and depending on the tracking force can distort the upper edge of the groove. If your needle is shot, it will sound like garbage. I also have never heard of having to replace a stylus after 500 hours. I have Ortofon and Shure stylus' with over 1000hrs on them and they are still fine. If a diamond point wears out that fast on plastic, I would suspect the quality of the stylus itself. If the antiskate is not matched, the tonearm will want to swing inward and that adds excessive wear to the inward groove

I track at an average of 1.25gr with antiskate set the same. Some people try to track at way less then what the cart is supposed thinking they are saving groove wear but end up with skipping records in playback as any slightrise in the vinyl surface can make the stylus lift just like the front tires on a dragcar under acceleration. Sounds like a "hydroplaning" issue in certain groove areas and grooves can be very easily damaged by a diamond stylus with the anitskate set wrong. Without seeing your stylus, I can't say but under your loupe, if it still has a nice point, it should be good. When they wear down to nothing is where you start getting really crappy playback issues

Last edited:

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
I had that happen on one LP now that I think about it. I cleaned it a bunch of times. If other carts are doing it also. You have a piece of dirt in there some where.

NavLinear

I've read a bit but is there something that's tell-tale that any of you are familiar with?
I had a few records skip on me that have normally been fine. In one spot on each, not really on a peak dynamic spot. One used record, one new pressing or two. The skips are permanent now it seems, as I tried the stock m97xe needle, which is fairly new and had the issue on those records still.

I haven't noticed any increase in sibilance, inner groove distortion or surface noise.
I've also tried cleaning and adjusting

However... The manufacturer, JICO, does say 500hrs to replacement, which doesn't seem very long to me but that's what's stated. I'm sure I'm at that or over as far as the hours are concerned.
This is a very interesting read:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225960

VintageShadow

Chief Journeyman
I'm tracking at 1.25, antiskate is the same.
If the skipping occurs outward the spindle then antiskating force must be a bit too high, you can decrease it a bit and see. I use a test record to set antiskating and this is the best to do, the marking on the antiskating knob sometimes don't match the real applied force so you'll never know. :)

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
The scope reading is very interesting thanks! I'll look at that again in the future.

I just took took out my Shure test LP to adjust the antiskate. It does appear that I had too much. The slider on this basic Rega arm reads closer to 0.5 grams to keep the arm stable on the grooveless portion of the LP.

Larry, that does read a bit odd at JICO. You might be right though as 500hrs would seem a very short lifespan. Maybe one of these days I'll get into a cleaning regimen that is both effective and less tedious/messy.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
After taking the advice, I tried the same record and I got the POP but no skip. You guys are on point thanks!

speakerman1

Tagline
Please explain how the anti-skate would only do this on certain records with different stylus. Why not on others? Why in the same spot? Does the anti-skate change at that point? Wouldn't it do it everytime? You guys know more than I do. Plus I'm sure you hear better.

speakerman1

Tagline
The scope reading is very interesting thanks! I'll look at that again in the future.

I just took took out my Shure test LP to adjust the antiskate. It does appear that I had too much. The slider on this basic Rega arm reads closer to 0.5 grams to keep the arm stable on the grooveless portion of the LP.

Larry, that does read a bit odd at JICO. You might be right though as 500hrs would seem a very short lifespan. Maybe one of these days I'll get into a cleaning regimen that is both effective and less tedious/messy.
I use a Stanton fluid and a little brush. You don't do it every time. Works very good.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
That could be an issue too. I've been using the magic eraser & checking under magnification. I could tell more when I was running the at440mla, because of its high frequency balance. I find this cart a bit more rolled off, at least in comparison. I don't think I can use liquid on the SAS, but its worth a check. I also dust each side of the record and the needle on every flip.

speakerman1

Tagline
May hook a TT up see if I can go into the puter clean. Don't know if I still remember how to set one up. The Nikko has an awesome phono if I remember right. Phono board for the Creek might sound good. Right now I'm running the Hafler as a Phono amp. I have tinuitis. Nap time.

Fairchild

Tagline
It's Beer Season!
Styli become dirty very easily, even on a clean lp, there is a lot of force being applied at the point of the stylus that is in contact with the lp, check to be sure you don't have a build up of burnt on plastic from the lp's. I wouldn't think it would take much with a tracking force of 1.25 grams.

Several years ago I picked up an Intel play QX3 microscope at a garage sale, it does a good job for looking at your stylus, and you can photgraph it too.

qx3 stylus photo.jpg