wopl thoughts

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
square body cause I dint want a plastic 4x4
I am bown away and speachles this has to be the best amp I have ever herd the detail death soundstage pressence imaging everery thig is there it is way more dynamic and warmer then my friends hh scott 385r sound great on his speakers like me he also uses his system for more then just music I really do not know what I am really a trained listener to high end audio is all about a full rich powerful sound that you can feel that has death pressence proper imaging and soundstage closing your eyes and feeling like you are sorounded and not knowing were the speakers are I do not know if I am the only one that thinks this way I think I have just been runed for life

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Glad to hear Lana is up and running. Thanks to Joe for amazing design work.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Yep! A fully rebuilt WOPL with all the latest revisions is surely one of the best amplifiers on Planet Earth. It is certainly the finest amplifier I have ever heard.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
well I let her play nearly all day yesterday and she stays nice cool transformer got a little warm but that is it these amps are best where you want power or the best sound ever dose not get hot at aall there is no better design than this and if there is I do not know about it

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
Don't let your guard down....if you crank it she will get hot. A 20min session with it cranked will surprise you.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Thermal cut out built in K-5, so no worries if she gets hot. (uh-oh, here comes Nav) If you do get cut outs at 8 ohms you are damaging your ears! 4 ohms will cut out at moderate to high volumes. 2 ohms will cut out at low moderate volumes. Generalization as speaker efficiency plays a roll as well. Heatsinks will be very hot to the touch before the cut out. Too hot to keep your hand on. I can verify that Lana's thermal cut out is working fine, from experience. She's an 8 finner, which helps.

Last edited:

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
that is good to know I was not expecting to run hoter then it did since it was on for about 9 hours straight watching ty playing music and video games had the preamp at 9 oclock and the gains a little past center and it was great

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Shouldn't have a problem K-5. I'm talking about 12:00+ cranking (yea...happens around here sometimes). Fred is spot on, all is good.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The object is to get the fans going before the thermal cutouts are needed...no need to thermally stress those outputs more than necessary....

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Thermal cut out built in K-5, so no worries if she gets hot. (uh-oh, here comes Nav) If you do get cut outs at 8 ohms you are damaging your ears! 4 ohms will cut out at moderate to high volumes. 2 ohms will cut out at low moderate volumes. Generalization as speaker efficiency plays a roll as well. Heatsinks will be very hot to the touch before the cut out. Too hot to keep your hand on. I can verify that Lana's thermal cut out is working fine, from experience. She's an 8 finner, which helps.
You'll just get Navo going about how an 8-finner is a lot of tail anyway Fred, and maybe I pre-empted him :compress:

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
update back home in my $#!+ room and less then perfect custom speakers not the same expeareance like at my friends but still a big inprovement over the heathkit and the kenwood bass mids and highs are better sound quality is better but the magic is not there like at my friends then on the other amps I would love to hear what my setup could do I a good room

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
day 2 at home very happy no more of speakers asking too much from amps and all driver sound balanced and even no more bass hoging all the the power and starving the mids and highs every thing is clear even on the bass heavy track I like this was not so before on lesser amps

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
well I really did it this was playing the wopl for thee days at home between -10 and -7 dbs (20-40) watts wide open ganes pre at 8 oclock and laptop max and to night after my shower my bathroom light comes down my room and bathroom share a holow wall so I ask why was I not warned that wopls + 2 12 subs = bad for the structural integraty for trailer homes

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I hope you weren't playing Whoomp! There It Is :wink:

Wow...it had better be KISS DESTROYER!

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
if I was not clear enough the whole fixture came down from the roof and is hanging by unsuprted wires fixture was installed about a year ago

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
well I really did it this was playing the wopl for thee days at home between -10 and -7 dbs (20-40) watts wide open ganes pre at 8 oclock and laptop max and to night after my shower my bathroom light comes down my room and bathroom share a holow wall so I ask why was I not warned that wopls + 2 12 subs = bad for the structural integraty for trailer homes
:hello1::occasion5: You Go K-5!! Might want to consider reinforcing the walls on that trailer bud :happy2: