WOPL dual 500

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
We have started a new conversion to full complementary with A White Oak Audio revision E control board. It is a bit of a mess but with some trimming up souls come out. Sry clean.

This Will have
14-20 revision E2 control board.
MJ21195/65 transistors
33,000uf power caps
5 watt emitter resistors , etc.

outstanding issues are few but I do have these to concider
1- transistor insulators

as I have new To-3 sockets of the new style I plan to solder the mj transistor pins into the backplate sockets and therefore may want to use mica insulators in place of the silicon pads.

2-decide on blue or red led Meter lights

Attachments

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
We have started a new conversion to full complementary with A White Oak Audio revision E control board. It is a bit of a mess but with some trimming up souls come out. Sry clean.

This Will have
MJ21195/65 transistors
33,000uf power caps

1- transistor insulators

as I have new To-3 sockets of the new style I plan to solder the mj transistor pins into the backplate sockets and therefore may want to use mica insulators in place of the silicon pads.

Not familiar with MJ21165,is it a typo???

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Any reason as to why soldering in the MJ's??? I tried that once...... It was a MOFO to change them out with a failure.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Any reason as to why soldering in the MJ's??? I tried that once...... It was a MOFO to change them out with a failure.
Well Perry you are right about the drawbacks. The reason is the new sockets for mouser are different than the original in that the pins go through and contact two flats and are not touching much of the socket where as the old style had a round contact shape and pretty much contacted the entire pin. I have spread the contact tabs apart so to make removal fairly straightforward. The first WOPL I did with Joe's backplates are soldered pins and it is still working well. I do not want any shortcomings with this unit that I can avoid.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Well Perry you are right about the drawbacks. The reason is the new sockets for mouser are different than the original in that the pins go through and contact two flats and are not touching much of the socket where as the old style had a round contact shape and pretty much contacted the entire pin. I have spread the contact tabs apart so to make removal fairly straightforward. The first WOPL I did with Joe's backplates are soldered pins and it is still working well. I do not want any shortcomings with this unit that I can avoid.
Did I miss your call? I was..... Um, indisposed for a moment.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast

This Will have
MJ21195/65 transistors
33,000uf power caps

1- transistor insulators

What type emitter resistors are you using? Critical!!

grapplesaw

Tagline
---

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I made some progress today.

Looks like like Joe's board fits nicely

need it pull it apart again and trim up some leads and hook up the bias transistors and start loading the power transistors after finishing the main cap wiring.

Attachments

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Somebody buy him a beer, and thank you Canada!