WOPL 700B build, just pokin along

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Looks like the backplanes are ready for insertion. Soldering the 14_20 board now. Too much fun. I keep the wire bundles tied up so as not to bump/bend/stress the solder joints where the wires enter the board. They hold up better in bundles. Just need to do a final cleaning and trimming of the 2 boards.

IMG_4211.jpg

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Perry,

You may want to talk to Joe about the "high performance" version of wiring the back-plane boards that will improve the channel separation (a.k.a. crosstalk).
If my memory serves me correct, it has something to do with the way the jumper wires are installed. I think he said something about not using the jumpers and wiring directly to some other location.

Ed

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
There are no jumper wires. unless you are talking about the wires from the backplane to the 14_20.

I'll have to go over my test results but I never saw a problem with any crosstalk. They were all pretty low.

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Nice work. Thanks for the picture. I need all the help I can get. Just received a large assortment of wire from Dennis. Sweet package!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Nice work. Thanks for the picture. I need all the help I can get. Just received a large assortment of wire from Dennis. Sweet package!
Dennis carries the best wire you can buy. Even his bailing wire is bad ass. I bought some barbed wire from him and it already had escaped convicts stuck in it...... he's the cats meow. :)

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Sometimes. They are an added expense though. If you are on your first one or two amps, it is a nice feature as you MAY have to take it apart a few times. I don't do that much anymore.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
basically, when you get the back planes trimmed real close to the board, and watch your soldering on the control board, you should not have to take it apart. Shorts from the solder tails on the back side of the back planes will be your biggest hurdle. trim, trim, and trim some more. Adding the wires to the back plane while it is installed calls for careful work. It can cause smoke to escape from many places.

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
I am concerned about getting it right the first time. I thought I had a decent digital soldering station. But it's only 45 watts. Per Joes advice I just bought a used Weller WSD81 80 watter. I need to get a tip assortment next.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I am concerned about getting it right the first time. I thought I had a decent digital soldering station. But it's only 45 watts. Per Joes advice I just bought a used Weller WSD81 80 watter. I need to get a tip assortment next.
Same one I'm running. You need the extra heat for the PEM's on the backplane and a few other things. The Ground Planes in those back planes can take some juice to get good flow. Switch to "No Clean" flux too. You still gotta clean it but it's easier to clean than the RMA..... It just takes a while to get used to using it.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Perry,

You may want to talk to Joe about the "high performance" version of wiring the back-plane boards that will improve the channel separation (a.k.a. crosstalk).
If my memory serves me correct, it has something to do with the way the jumper wires are installed. I think he said something about not using the jumpers and wiring directly to some other location.

Ed

Shhhhhh, it's a secret..... But, if you double wire a twisted pair to the farnigulator, the damping factor goes to 6 million, and you can power a vibrator wirelessly......

HUH????
HUH???

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Same one I'm running. You need the extra heat for the PEM's on the backplane and a few other things. The Ground Planes in those back planes can take some juice to get good flow. Switch to "No Clean" flux too. You still gotta clean it but it's easier to clean than the RMA..... It just takes a while to get used to using it.
Yes the Kester 245 is good stuff

NavLinear

I doubt that I could use "No Clean" flux - I would miss the pleasant pine smell of the solder smoke. :glasses2: