WOPL 400 and Dixon meters

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Dixon meter studs end up being very close to the bulk cap buss bar and aluminum retaining plate, easily shorting out if care is not taken. Clearance can be gained by pushing the cap bottoms towards the left tight against the chassis wall and rotating the caps which lowers the copper bus bar away from the meter. Additionally, the aluminum plate can be filed for more clearance, and plastic insulators added to the studs. Would be a real shame to get almost through your build and then overlook this. PXL_20201108_135801062.jpg PXL_20201108_135813087.jpg PXL_20201108_143026331.jpg PXL_20201108_143615711.jpg PXL_20201108_143910571.jpg PXL_20201108_145906177.jpg

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Dixon meter studs end up being very close to the bulk cap buss bar and aluminum retaining plate, easily shorting out if care is not taken. Clearance can be gained by pushing the cap bottoms towards the left tight against the chassis wall and rotating the caps which lowers the copper bus bar away from the meter. Additionally, the aluminum plate can be filed for more clearance, and plastic insulators added to the studs. Would be a real shame to get almost through your build and then overlook this. View attachment 45468 View attachment 45469 View attachment 45470 View attachment 45471 View attachment 45472 View attachment 45473
George
Did your cast cradle have double sided tape on it?

George S.

Yes it did, and no clamp, just the old tape. I cleaned that cradle spotless once I separated it from the chassis. And then added thin fiber washers in between the cradle and chassis as part of my transformer insulating, slightly opening that distance up more, but yes not much, just a thin fiber washer. So no old tape on the cradle causing a close gap. No issues really, just something a builder could easily overlook with terrible results.

George S.

Oops, make that Dixson, not Dixon. Joe, I took lots of photos before dismantling the amps. In one photo the double sided tape is visible, the other shows adhesive on the cradle before I took it to the garage to wire wheel it clean. IMG_20200322_211103.jpg IMG_20200322_223030.jpg

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Is there any reason 4 washers could not be used on the face plate bolts between the chassis and the plate for a little more clearance ? I mean I know it would not be stock and all or look right from the side but....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I've used some 1/2" nuts on a bud's shop 400 to squeeze some 22,000uf/100 volt caps in..

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
I liked my 400. It had some parts from Joe of course as well as Don's protect circuit. The main board was stock with new electrolytic caps as well as Lee's recommendations . It always sounded very good to me. Even before it was rebuilt. A nice, clean powerful amplifier it was. Somebody wanted it more than I did though so away it went. It was beautiful too. Almost like new condition.

George S.

I liked my 400. It had some parts from Joe of course as well as Don's protect circuit. The main board was stock with new electrolytic caps as well as Lee's recommendations . It always sounded very good to me. Even before it was rebuilt. A nice, clean powerful amplifier it was Somebody wanted it more than I did though so away it went. It was beautiful too. Almost like new condition.

George S.

Sorry to hear that, it's very hard to have something you really value stolen. Unfortunately it's usually done by someone you know or was in the house visiting . Been through that myself. And I still have very bitter feelings about it.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Damn, did not mean to imply that. My bad . What I meant was a dude I met a while ago wanted to pay big bucks for it so I let it fly. 650.00 . He wanted it pretty bad. In my opinion it was well worth it and I still have a PL 700 that I need to finish building.

George S.

Damn, did not mean to imply that. My bad . What I meant was a dude I met a while ago wanted to pay big bucks for it so I let it fly. 650.00 . He wanted it pretty bad. In my opinion it was well worth it and I still have a PL 700 that I need to finish building.
Sorry, misunderstood. Yes, you got a good price for it for sure. It's crazy what PL is going for these days on the Bay. Have to wonder how many amp cores are in the junk piles in the backrooms of long established tv, audio, and pawn shops.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
I guess I am worse than that. Sometimes I sit and wonder how many old McIntosh tube amplifiers have been thrown into the trash dumps over the years. Any old gear for that matter. Especially in big cities like New York. People that find them days ago and have no idea what they are worth to folk like us. PL gear should be worth the big bucks I think. It's some too notch cool gear I think. It looks as bad ass as it is too. I know it all needs rebuilding by now but what gear could not use a good going over after 40 years ! We are lucky to have folk like Joe and Don making us up the very best parts for our PL equipment. Not all vintage electronics restorers have that blessing.

George S.

I guess I am worse than that. Sometimes I sit and wonder how many old McIntosh tube amplifiers have been thrown into the trash dumps over the years. Any old gear for that matter. Especially in big cities like New York. People that find them days ago and have no idea what they are worth to folk like us. PL gear should be worth the big bucks I think. It's some too notch cool gear I think. It looks as bad ass as it is too. I know it all needs rebuilding by now but what gear could not use a good going over after 40 years ! We are lucky to have folk like Joe and Don making us up the very best parts for our PL equipment. Not all vintage electronics restorers have that blessing.
So true.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
I guess I am worse than that. Sometimes I sit and wonder how many old McIntosh tube amplifiers have been thrown into the trash dumps over the years. Any old gear for that matter. Especially in big cities like New York City. People that find the equipment made many years ago and just toss it . They would have no idea what they are worth to folk like us. Big ole glass lightbulbs poking out can't be worth shit right ? As far as PL gear goes, it should be worth the big bucks I think. It's some top notch super cool gear. It looks bad as hell. Know it all needs rebuilding by now but what gear could not use a good going over after 40 years ! We are lucky to have folk like Joe and Don making us up the very best parts for our PL equipment. Not all vintage electronics restorers have that blessing.