Where to test interconnects??

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
Like most of the forum members, I don't really hold much stock in high priced interconnects and speaker wires. I'm old enough I probably couldn't hear the difference anyway. So I've decided to solder up my own interconnects from the snake nest of old cables I have laying around. Most of what I'm making are shorter than the typical 1 meter interconnects you generally find. Makes things neater that way and gives me something to do.

I'm looking for opinions on where forum members would think you'd most likely hear a difference with interconnects.
  • Between amp and preamp?
  • Between CD player and preamp?
  • Between phono preamp and preamp?

Initially I'm thinking that I'd most likely hear differences between the phono preamp and the preamp since the signal voltage is so low and would be more susceptible to cable differences. I could be wrong and would like to hear others thoughts on this matter.

Thanks in advance for your input!!

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I wish I had an answer, I am in the camp that any subtle difference in sound is not worth the cost. I use Monster and Mogami cables and in all honestly, generic gold plated ones sound just as good to my ears

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
In a pinch I've made RCA cables with clear speaker wires...I'm so old school gangs of rough boys smoke in the second floor restrooms and hit on the English teacher.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
from the cartridge/phono to the phono pre is the place.

Last edited:

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
VERY good points on this. I'll likely make up several sets and see IF I can hear any difference. Probably not but I'll try to follow up if there's anything earth shaking.

What got me started on this was the spacing on the jacks of my RL-11. They're closer together than most and the fat RCA connectors on most of my cables wouldn't work unless I sort of angled them onto the inputs and put stress on them in the process. No bueno!

So I bought about 50 Switchcraft RCA connectors that are nice and slim AND fit perfectly. 3502's I think. Very basic! No gold.

I got to reading someplace about eddy currents in cables and connectors that basically stated that they (connectors) should be as low mass as possible to minimize the "capacity" for any eddy currents. Could be total B.S. but low mass means low cost to me!!

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Like most of the forum members, I don't really hold much stock in high priced interconnects and speaker wires. I'm old enough I probably couldn't hear the difference anyway. So I've decided to solder up my own interconnects from the snake nest of old cables I have laying around. Most of what I'm making are shorter than the typical 1 meter interconnects you generally find. Makes things neater that way and gives me something to do.

I'm looking for opinions on where forum members would think you'd most likely hear a difference with interconnects.
  • Between amp and preamp?
  • Between CD player and preamp?
  • Between phono preamp and preamp?

Initially I'm thinking that I'd most likely hear differences between the phono preamp and the preamp since the signal voltage is so low and would be more susceptible to cable differences. I could be wrong and would like to hear others thoughts on this matter.

Thanks in advance for your input!!
None of the above...

Between your phono cartridge and your phono preamp...

nogoodpig

New Around These Parts
Tagline
It was broken when I took it apart---
I totally agree with Gepetto, spend your money on speakers and of course AMPLIFIERS! ... and what he said, if you play vinyl.
NGP

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Same as other cables, check for continuity with an ohmmeter.

If you can't get a good reading recycle. Somebody needs to make pennies.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
FWIW, in the early 1990's someone I knew became the buyer for what was called the Specialty Audio Department of the retail chain I worked at. I don't know if on a personal level, he achieved audiophile status but did own good gear. The position he assumed allowed him to take products home for at length evaluation on his own system. He had just transitioned from solid state (Bryston 4B) to a tube amp - Golden Tube something or other. I cannot recall but he may have still been using a Bryston preamp and speakers were Celestion Ditton 66's - 4 ohm version.

They may not have been in production but I was visiting once when he had a pair of $1500 Kimber interconnects made from silver wire and silver RCA's. We were comparing them between the power and pre with a $100 pair of Kimber PBJ's. There was a faint, nearly undetectable audible difference and we both agreed something that insignificant was not worth the price. However, we also agreed that it would not deter some customers from buying them. Neither of us could categorically state that $1500 interconnects sounded better than $100 interconnects just that there was the tiniest bit of difference.

test your stupidity.jpg

Last edited:

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
None of the above...

Between your phono cartridge and your phono preamp...
Actually Joe, that's the first place I thought of testing cables. The issue I run into, and likely many of our members, is that the lead from my tonearm is captive (for the most part). That lead is a couple of meters long and it's going into the phono preamp whether I like it or not. I haven't looked much but so far I haven't found any short DIN to RCA cables to replace what I have.

Actually, what I have on my main TT is that Stax arm with a DIN (?) connector into the bottom of it. Looks like that DIN connection is pretty common. Then there's the 2 Dual tables where one has RCA jacks on the underside (1219) and the other's (601) cable is completely captive.

I hadn't really thought about the 1219 but I can follow your suggestion and attach directly to those RCA jacks underneath.

Even then.... I doubt I'll hear any noticeable differences. With all the potential issues of getting older, you'd think we could get one easy trade off! Maybe improved hearing to offset they stiff joints and crappy eyesight.

Northwinds

Tagline

Northwinds

Tagline
I use a set of Mogami's out of the 1200mk2 to the SA3 preamp, Monster's or generic gold plated ends elsewhere

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
First, my stock comment: "Wire" we even discussing this topic?

************************************************************************************************************************

When we were still in Carlsbad, I had a problem with interconnects. I was listening one day, and the signal was dropping out. I found the problem to be a pair of British "Cable Talk" interconnects, which were very nice, but intermittent opens negate all other factors. I was in a pinch, not owning too many cables, so I tried some Phillips component audio cables. They worked great and sounded good. Later, I found that they could be had on the www really cheap, so I stocked up, and gradually got rid of all my Monster Cables. My DIY cables mostly went into retirement. I just strip off the "red" cable and go my merry way, using the "blue" cable for the right channel, and "green" for the left. I also use AR video cable and a few other brands. At a recent estate sale I even picked up some Esoteric Audio cables, which are beautiful - I use one to connect my VCR to the preamp.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Cables have gone through some changes over the years. First the amount of metal in them went up and folks liked to spend money on them cause they could. Mostly speaker wire and this was good. Having a big watt amp and using some zip cord was like hooking up a garden hose to a fire hydrant. The move the the 12 gauge cable helped. That got all those cable building folks thinking how they could line their pockets.

Then there was the video boom and the need for good low capacitance cables and these were determined to be pretty good in most cases. This as all the cable builders continued to make changes in the jacket, ends, molding and all that to make the cable sell.

This all happened as the rich got richer and the poor didn't do well at all. Along comes high dollar cables to help the rich spend their money. Seems to have worked.

Now we have good quality cables in all price ranges since the builders have learned to use good wire. And we have the expensive cutting edge stuff that as all kinds of shapes and sizes inside the cable to talk to the buyer about so they will spend the money.

I like the results of the test results linked above. Those that use bulk wire do not prefer it. Those that owned the expensive stuff preferred the bulk wiring. What we need is a market place where those of us making bulk cables can swap with those owning the expensive stuff and just trade cables. Seems folks would be happy knowing they got the stuff their group preferred.

I have noticed the silver coated copper is a brighter cable than others I use but with all the different cables I have, most name brand stuff picked up with used gear, I don't care which I pull out to connect some chunk of gear. If my better hearing friend drops by and we listen to cable and he prefers one over the other, I'll use that one...this hasn't happened yet, but he has had opinions on all sorts of the changes in my rig.

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
I'm really enjoying everyone's input and it seems we're all mostly on the same page. Some of my thoughts around the growth of expensive cables have to do with the demise of vinyl. If you're old enough to remember, and I'm sure it's still the case, phono cartridges have always been one of the highest profit items in the stereo store. With the demise of vinyl, that profit had to come from some place. Taa Daa... we have nice expensive cables. I doubt there's all that much difference in a good $100 cart. and a $1000 cart. Same theory with cables.

Thanks everyone!

Northwinds

Tagline
Oh you absolutely do definitely hear the difference with phono carts. A lot more variables