What's in your monitor loop?

Netfly

Journeyman
Tagline
---
What's in your monitor loop?

I thought I 'd mention it, because you don't see one for sale that often. Along with an old reel tape unit, someone is selling an RG Pro16 on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Otari-MX5050-Tape-Machine-w-DBX-150X-Noise-Reduction-RG-16-Dynamic-Processor-/292178635539?hash=item4407342b13:g:nawAAOSwGBtZY-LD

I've used one of these for many years and I love it. It make the quiet passages between songs quieter and the loud portions louder to your discretion. Phase Linear made a version, but RG was one of the best.

I use 12 db of expansion on FM with less input volume and about 8 db on CD's or LP's. The 2 position slope controls the attack rate and I find it works best set to 1 (more) for FM and 2 for CD or LP. If someone can pry this away from the reel unit sale, you'll have a nice catch.

The other unit in my monitor loop is an Audio Control Phase Coupled Activator. This creates a sub harmonic of the input bass. Not louder like an equalizer, but deeper in frequency by halving the input frequency. I use it set fairly low on the dial, but it adds a nice punch to the bass. It can make any speaker sound deeper. I grabbed some pics from Ebay to show you what they both look like. Take a look ò¿ò

s-l1600a.jpg s-l1600.jpg

I'd like to hear what your using in you monitor loop or your opinions on these. Thanks.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
IMG_0001.jpg Sideways, but you can get the picture, and that's just the living room audio stack to the right of this computer deck.

Have I got it all working yet?

Nope. I'll get it figured out soon.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Thanks for stepping in, Bill. I like to hear what other members are using for sound processors. You wouldn't be getting away with this kind of topic, elsewhere, on an audio purist forum. Pretty stuck-up I would say. And those purists haven't got time for a quadraphonic 8-track tape.

I'm sure ol' Lee has an RG-16, too. I use a few sound processors, a Pioneer SR-303 stereo reverberation amplifier and a Pioneer RG-9 dynamic range processor. I had a Pioneer SG-9500 equalizer hooked up for a few years, but I had the controls set so minimally, I opted to take it out of the loop, for now. As a special note, I bought both the RG-9 and SG-9500 from Lee. Both units were in impeccable cosmetic and operational condition.

Here's a video of some Bob Marley with a little reverb on:

Click on image to play video:

I have another little box to add to my system, later. Will post it once I have it in place.

Nando.

orange

Tagline
DBX 400X
Pioneer CT-F600 cassette
Pioneer SG-300
Pioneer SR-303
Pioneer RG-9
Pioneer CT-F1250 cassette

But I haven't managed to get it figured our so far this year (and it's been a long and crazy 9 months since 2 1/2 feet of snow got dumped on us in about a week last winter).

I've been trying to simplify the bedroom system into a more modular setup that uses two integrated amps as preamps, one audio and one AV because I have so much stuff in there,

two cassette decks
EQ
5.1 surround decoder/amp
two receivers (front and rear stereo, rear is alarm clock and rear surrounds)
CD changer
CED player
Beta and VHS Hi-Fi
Laserdisc
DVD

Reel to reel

Yah, Oly, I'm yutsy...

orange

Tagline
Mr. Popeil would have to say, "But WAIT! There's MORE"!!!

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
It's not always in because I don't need it that much, I've got the speakers and room dialed in quite nicely, a SAE 180 parametric Eq, every home should have one!! Much nicer than any graphic/cut/boost Eq IMHO

Netfly

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Thanks for the feedback guys. Forgot to add I run a JVC KD-25 Cassette in the monitor loop of the RG, in my monitor loop.

Elite-ist

Staff member
I run eight cassette decks (one of them a Sony EL-7 Elcaset) and an open-reel deck in my main system. Yes, I have an infatuation with cassette decks. I, also, use two MiniDisc recorders. All of the decks and MD recorders are routed via a dbx 200, dbx 400X, and Pioneer U-24 to the Pioneer C-72 Reference Control Amplifier's two tape loops.

The JVC KD-25 is a deck I found at the flea market years ago. After a clean-up it performs well.

Click on image to play video:

Nando.

Last edited:

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Nando, we'll need an update when that new switcher shows up. I'll leave the rest of the details out so you can enjoy the introduction of your new toy.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Yes, my latest acquisition. Because you can never run out of tape loops without having one of these:

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
On an older quadraphonic system, I used a Sansui SE-9 Compu-Equalizer. The presets on the different eq settings allow motorized control of the sliders. A cool thing to watch in action:

Nando.

Netfly

Journeyman
Tagline
---
orange - cool setup. I can see you have a thing for Pioneer goodies. Nice.

Nando - That's quite a system and I can't believe you have a KD-25 too. Bought mine new in 1978. Ancient, but It's been reliable with a good enough sound and still plays a few things here that never made it to CD.

Interesting switcher. Never seen one of those before. Looks like it was made with you in mind.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Lee: Yes, up to 16 source components can be patched into the Audio Authority Model 3/50 High Accuracy Comparator System. I have been assembling a racked system for our home AV system, upstairs, as part of our house renovation. Of course, a Sony dual-well cassette deck and Pioneer Laser-disc player are already in place. Going to add a number of other pieces in time.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Bill: Nice to hear you still kept the JVC KD-25 since new. It's a simple cassette deck, but it's built well. When I get a thrift store pick-up I always check out what's under the bonnet.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Lee: Yes, up to 16 source components can be patched into the Audio Authority Model 3/50 High Accuracy Comparator System. I have been assembling a racked system for our home AV system, upstairs, as part of our house renovation. Of course, a Sony dual-well cassette deck and Pioneer Laser-disc player are already in place. Going to add a number of other pieces in time.

Nando.

Nice Nando, beautiful as always...