What the hell am I going to do with this?

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I bought a preamp last week and it came with a nice Carver M400A cube amp....... They are supposed to sound pretty good.

I just about tripped over it, forgot I got it..... Time to put the PL4000 and Carver M400A up for sale.

M400A.jpg

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I bought a preamp last week and it came with a nice Carver M400A cube amp....... They are supposed to sound pretty good.

I just about tripped over it, forgot I got it..... Time to put the PL4000 and Carver M400A up for sale.

View attachment 38439
The very first stereo shop I worked at had those in stock but I never paid any real attention to them. I did not believe them capable of the 201 claimed watts per channel they were supposed to have. Way too light. Had to be some voodoo mojo going on in there I told myself.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The very first stereo shop I worked at had those in stock but I never paid any real attention to them. I did not believe them capable of the 201 claimed watts per channel they were supposed to have. Way too light. Had to be some voodoo mojo going on in there I told myself.

I call him Buffalo Bob. He tamed the west with an amp he built in a cigarette box, with a gum wrapper for an antenna. HUH?

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
I'd save up for a pair, then send the faceplate out to a shop and mill a cutout for a nice big PL VU meter. bridge 'em you'd have a mono bloc PL700 (sort of)

anyhow, we tried listening to these in the store when it was new. The amp does do 200 watts, however it has sensitive protection circuits and does not like low impedance. Sound is ok, but not effortless like a conventional 200 watt amp.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I'd save up for a pair, then send the faceplate out to a shop and mill a cutout for a nice big PL VU meter. bridge 'em you'd have a mono bloc PL700 (sort of)

anyhow, we tried listening to these in the store when it was new. The amp does do 200 watts, however it has sensitive protection circuits and does not like low impedance. Sound is ok, but not effortless like a conventional 200 watt amp.

I listened to it last night with the pre amp I just finished. It sounds pretty good. Should make a nice cheap amp for somebody who doesn't want an expensive amp.

VSAT88

Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
Be careful of using that near any WOPL's . The "Magnetic Field" may cause grave harm. No shit though, that is one of the most aggravating amps I have ever worked on. The whole case being the sink does not help. There is compound smeared everywhere in there. Getting it put back together takes an act of congress well, taking it apart does too. I like mine. Sounds nice out in the shop. It is a powerful amp too. Easily worth a few bills.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I remember having one of those when they first came out, I bought it from a store called Sounds Great in upstate NY. That little fucker even ran a pair of Altec VOTT's temporarily when 2 of our Crown D-150 amps blew up in my band PA system when some drunk idiot tripped over the extension cords during a practice session