What SUT are you using?

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
For those of us who have not yet taken the plunge to the MC side, what step up transformers are you using?

I've been reading a lot but don't know what is the best value transformer.

Cinemag seem to get a lot of good reviews, as do the Lundahl trannies. I also see some Denon AU models....

To get ones feet wet, and assuming the use of a lowly Denon 103....what do you recommend?

I would be using a Micro Trak 303 arm and Russco Cue Master table, so I think I have a good match.

It really is surprisingly good using the Stanton 500 gold cartridge that came with it, and a new replacement stylus ($15.00). I have the VTF at 2.25 grams...

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I think you need one for an Moving Coil cartridge. Their output is only about .3 mv, and you have to step it up to around 5 mv or so, unless you have an MC input on your preamp, and I do not have a preamp with an input for an MC cart.. Most people use one of the many vintage (or new) microphone step up transformers available to build their own..

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Thanks for the link, Lee. I will read some reviews and see what people are saying about the pre. The specs look pretty awesome for sure..

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Sutton,
You can pick up a pair of Don Mcgohan MC-1 mic trannies pretty reasonable. They are just as good as the Altec 4722 at 1/3rd
the price. I ran the Mc-1's with Dynavector mc cartridge years ago with great results. Makes a nice little project without spending
a bunch on all the overpriced units out there.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
The only McGohan MC-1 I can find is almost as much as the Altec 4722. They must have been "discovered". Thanks for the lead...Having never heard any of the step up transformers, I'm in unknown waters...and still wondering if there is any real improvement over the MM carts I already have..