What is going on here exactly?

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I've had at least two instances where I've had high CPU activity, suspected mining, unplugged the Ethernet cable, reset the gateway and now I had it happening without even being online!

So I opened Task Manager and I found an instance of iexplore.exe (IE 11) with over 200 MB tied up and climbing. I ended that process and some sanity returned.

WHY would IE be open and eating up resources? I had just finished both AVG 2018 Free and full Malwarebytes scans with no problems reported.

Would a new miner type be doing it's work waiting for my computer to go online? Usually once you break the connection they lose your computer.

Or is this a fault in IE?

orange

Tagline
I closed that process and opened this window, no backsassing now, quiet as a church mouse.

orange

Tagline
The several svchost.exe files open are not out of line and stable, don't know if that was the case earlier as I didn't think to look, but iexplore was revving it up and I wasn't even connected.

Scooby Snack to anyone with a possible answer?

orange

Tagline
I assume it's intact and has a gas log. I have no warnings from Action Center, and no issues of Action Comics.

(My brother's oldest boy got those)

Seriously, I looked and it's all good, I don't use a network either, but sometimes I have to shutdown and start again to get all the icons, even though then services are on and set to show them.

I have the trial of Malwarebytes 3.3.1 and AVG Free running right now.

Occasionally an IE page will just get up there (had one at 518000K or so, closed it and it was quiet again). It was yesfans.com but I may have had Outlook.com open prior to that and went there next in that window.

Maybe if I could get some more RAM in this thing it would also help. MBAM.exe (Malwarebytes) takes a lot of resources monitoring everything in real time.

But in GOOD news the tank for my Rollfast project (Beryl) is out for delivery today!

Last edited:

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Hmmm.. you guys know, it seems that nowadays there is a buttload of damn trick ad and spam scripting that goes on for just about every website you visit. This used to plague me so damn much.. even with Firefox the next thing I know it's taking GIGS of memory and doing shit it shouldn't be doing.

There IS a way however to cut down on that crap... I forget where I found it, but basically there is what is called a "hosts" file that you can grab off of one of those anti spam / malware sites and put on your PC. Basically it's a list of all known spam/tracking/B.S. sites that "short circuit" the name to IP address lookup, so that they are never contacted even if you are unaware of the host site's scripting that is slowing your browsing to a crawl.

If there's interest here let me know, and I can elaborate and go find (remember) where I got it from. It makes a world of difference, and if you think about it is very simple but effective.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Jer, I know mine slows to a crawl sometimes and I just turn off the computer for awhile....a pain in the ass though..

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
When I got my new PC (Transource) and OS (Ubuntu), I also got an ad-blocker and software to prevent being tracked by Google. I don't have any issues like you guys are describing. There are sites that don't allow me on unless I turn off ad-blocker, but I won't do that.

orange

Tagline
Well, if you really wanna know (tell us Agent Scully)...I have more script warnings from my Outlook.com webmail than most anything else...that and sites with paywalls, like the local newspapers.

I don't go anywhere particularly freaky other than YAHOO most of the time... and I bailed after my login changed from mine to someone else's once and did a full hoopty-doo for that.

(They ARE run by a telephone company, I guess they cross the wires too). Y! is still a piece of buggy Shyte but it seems to have improved SLIGHTLY. It's like seeing ads on Craigslist for personals but only if you already have herpes. :blob6:

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
When I got my new PC (Transource) and OS (Ubuntu), I also got an ad-blocker and software to prevent being tracked by Google. I don't have any issues like you guys are describing. There are sites that don't allow me on unless I turn off ad-blocker, but I won't do that.
The published hosts file approach has just about the same effect. Yep I know .. several sites I've seen start to "insist" you turn it off, and that's when I go elsewhere.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I use Ghostery, only thing I see here now is Google Analytics being actively blocked

orange

Tagline
Google tracking isn't eating your CPU usage alive occasionally on a multi-core processor though. A guy demonstrated this on You Tube, I need to find that video again. He had a quad core going like a house on fire.

All that for imaginary money...virtual welfare. No wonder China is Pissed.

orange

Tagline
At least with the 'price' tanking I have had a much easier time lately. There is still the problem of having a single iexplore.exe file occasionally balloon to between 200-500 MB if you reuse the same window, in a short time too. It was also a problem with Firefox Quantum early on. That just wants to choke your computer with only 2 GB RAM and not as big of a processor cache as you'd like.

Netfly

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Here is what I do, hope it helps. Use Malwarebytes regularly, but run it then shut it down completely. Zonealarm for the software firewall and active AV. TCPeye.exe, autoruns.exe and ProcessExplorer64.exe to monitor connections. Running in win7pro and most options set to Blackviper's 'safe' configuration.

http://www.blackviper.com/service-c...dows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

Only have about 30 active processes running after boot, making it easier to identify problems and remove them.

orange

Tagline
I think that, unless you are leading a ragtag fleet of battlestars, explorer.exe and iexplore.exe are all that normally do much as long as you have no other programs open. I closed two of the three open windows in IE and it went from over 300K to under 170K.