What First RTR should one get?

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Hi Guys,

Time again for words of wisdom from the wise here...... I have started looking at stereo RTR decks and thought I would ask what would be a good first machine? Sam has an A2300SX and shortly a X1000 coming available would either of those be a good deck to start with? FF, mentioned a 6300 some time back as being a good deck as well..... Have never owned a RTR other than a very old teac multitrack back in college days. Ok, let the free-for-all begin!

Thanks,
Robert

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I,m a big fan of the 6300 Teac ,,,I also Have a Pioneer Rt 1020L, shown in my Avatar and in pics posted of my system not currently in use,,,both great decks with similar features

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Hi Robert, since we have the wonderful Sam on board, I'd stay with a Teac, if something happens you know he will be able to fix it, and he'll steer you clear of troublesome models, if you don't get one from Sam, watch Craigslist daily, so you can test and hear first. Or if you want to stay with Pioneer to match that super cool receiver, look for a big 10" deck, the tape cost is higher, but you'll be glad you did, nothing like a big 10" baby :cheers:

btw, both of my big boys were free, Fostex E-2 3 track sync, and a Teac A-3340 4-channel, spent a couple hundred $$'s on choice metal reel TDK and Maxell tapes, loads of fun...

Attachments

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Robert, I think for ease of use I would recommend an auto reverse reel to reel deck. Then, you have to decide whether you want to go 7" or 10" reel capacity. Then i.p.s. speeds of 3 3/4, 7 1/2, and 15 are available. I would stick to speeds less than 15 i.p.s. as there won't be much difference in sound quality and there will be a substantial saving of money for tape. Then, the aesthetics can be a big deciding factor. Is your budget less than $500? Get a unit that has been serviced for peace of mind.

My vote goes for a few Pioneers:

Pioneer RT-707

Pioneer RT-909

Pioneer RT-1020L

I can supply more particulars of each of the decks. The 1020L is not an auto reverse model but will play back quadraphonic encoded reels.

Nando.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
WORKING, then go nuts.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Fast Forward said:
Robert,,,if you want to mess with one for a couple weeks come grab up my Pioneer,,,got so Adaptors and some reels and some Tapes,,,,FF
Now, that's a generous offer worth considering, if you don't mind the drive to pick it up. I can guarantee you'll be hooked once you've had a listen to well-recorded material on open reel.

Nando.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
I have gotten where I hate to mess with tape. Have an Akai with AR I got off Jim. Then I have the 7 inch Pioneer. I use to love to record tapes. It is an expensive habit; but what in Audio isn't. My own self. I can't afford a 10 inch. At my house I have a limit I going to pay to play. I have one more system to build I will not build another. I get tired of fixing things or having to send them out to fix them. Get one that works. The Akai you will never have to worry about heads.

Larry

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Dang Nando, put my shit in the shade :cry: , nice rigs !! i'd nix the auto reverse decks tho, just more to go wrong down the road, Sam might back me up on that tho or say I'm wrong, re-winding a reel is half the fun, so is flipping it :cheers: :mrgreen: :cheers:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Thanks stuwee. I have two Akais, as well. This is my 4000DB:

Nando.

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
A2300SX is a fine starter deck. We are a bunch of snobs here. I agree that a deck that has been worked on is a better value than an eBay deck. I have an Akai GX4000D deck on consignment if money is an issue.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Hi All,

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I can see that one needs to do a bit more research with so many choices...... Always something to learn which is the fun part for me.

Stuwee, you suck for finding free decks! Almost had a few Craigslist bargins ($25-$50) a couple months back but the day job just does not allow one to get there before the deals are gone. Those old TEAC 4 track decks like in your photo are very cool!

FF, I will think about taking you up on your offer. I really hate to borrow things as something always breaks and then I feel really bad.

Sam, Thanks for the note and all the information on various decks.

Nando, As usual I really don't have a budget. Your Pioneers are like showroom, very nice. Ha, I had to laugh when the box of the Akai popped up and the rest of the photos didn't for a few seconds. I was thinking sure hope someone didn't just send you an empty box with no deck! I have a few stories but that will be another time... 10 inch reels would be nice, the 3 and 7 ips should be fine.

Everyone else.... thanks as well.

Robert

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
No budget. I would go with RT-909. Which is the Pioneer. I have a RT-707. It is the only Pioneer I have ever owned in my life. The big Teacs look nice. I just have heard to many stories. People paying a lot of money for the deck then turn around and have to buy a head bank for it.

Larry

Elite-ist

Staff member
Thanks for your comments, Robert. All four decks were in beautiful condition when I bought them. It helps to find a deck which has been taken care of by someone like ourselves, who enjoys the hobby. Surprisingly, my first foray into reel-to-reels came when I found a deck at the local mini flea market more than six years ago. Actually, two decks had been donated to the flea market, and when I returned the same afternoon to pick up the Teac, it was gone. I found an Akai GX-747, complete with 10.5" metal take-up reel and a great recording of the White Album, for $50. It ranks as one of the best scores I've had, so far.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Some day I shall tell the story of my Spec rack score here as I have at AK and TH for those that can't access those sites. It is a compelling story.

Elite-ist

Staff member
laatsch55 said:
Some day I shall tell the story of my Spec rack score here as I have at AK and TH for those that can't access those sites. It is a compelling story.
Please do, Lee!

Nando.