WANTED: studio monitors

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Hey guys. I’m thinking about monitors. My current (temporary) desk arrangement has some tiny speakers that I’m using. Frequency response around 100-1000hz.

I may end up with my own office in the new building (many things are not really nailed down yet…) and if so, I may then bring the old Kenwood system on line.

But even there, I'm probably better off running ripped CDs from the computer (which is WAY a better computer than what I had at the last place) but we need better speakers. BAD

Ive been looking and it seems with a budget up to $300; perhaps stretching a bit further for something really special, I can be satisfied. Less cost is better so I can buy more records!

I’ve read a bunch of reviews so I’m up on the new offerings in that price range but as usual, used is a better bargain.

Looking at Adam, Focal, KRK and Kali but not limiting my self to any one brand yet. Those seem to offer good bang for the buck new, and therefore used.

I won’t run a sub- I’m on the second floor now and likely will be in the new place too- but at the same time I don’t want them to be huge either… I know that doesn’t work in this universe but there is a lot of variance of LF extension in similar sized boxes these days. I’d like to go below 70 (-3dB) at least in a small package. In general that causes a proportional increase in cost to cab size ratio. Don’t want to spend the extra grand for new to go that low…

ANYWAY, if you have something you’d consider moving, let me know. My current search focuses on active (powered) monitors but I’ll consider passive as well. (Then there’ll be another want as or I’ll have to build something…)

George S.

For a office, I'd consider Infinity Infinitesimal Speakers, or JBL near field monitors. Smaller would probably be better, considering the location.

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
I have spent considerable time researching near field powered monitors for my home office now that I work from home.

I found the Peachtree Audio M24's to be an excellent match for this application. They provide all the inputs I needed and sound absolutely fantastic when used in desktop near field applications without a sub. They would sound better with a sub, but I found no need after using for the last several months without.

I found a used set on ebay for well under $300.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I’ll check those out, thank you!

The tiny JBLs don’t interest me. I’d prefer a true monitor so I can re-purpose in the future if I want to.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Elac Debut B 6.2 is not a powered monitor but I’ll keep it on the list. Possibly over bright in the mids too which is not ideal (for possible monitor duty in the future)

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I have no personal experience with them but a record shop I know of (that also sells turntables) claim these Kanto YU4 speakers are popular. Built in phono preamp so no hardware required other than a turntable. A small living space is the norm in these parts so I get their appeal.

Kanto YU4 front.png Kanto YU4 rear.png

gene french

guayabo de bagaces, guanacaste, costa rica....
Tagline
music...the healer of souls...
I have no personal experience with them but a record shop I know of (that also sells turntables) claim these Kanto YU4 speakers are popular. Built in phono preamp so no hardware required other than a turntable. A small living space is the norm in these parts so I get their appeal.

View attachment 73216 View attachment 73217
they are quite handsome...

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman

View attachment 73216 View attachment 73217
Those are very nice as well, my second choice after the Peachtree M24s.

The Kanto does not include USB audio input, just USB charge output. USB input is very convenient for use with a computer audio source.

Last edited: