Von Schweikert VR4 speakers

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
This kind of sums it up. A comment early in the review

The woofers are pretty weak sauce. While they do play clean they just can't put the SPL's in the bottom octaves that I need from a fullrange speaker. Port has a foam insert to calm it down and sounds good with no chuffing despite the little woofers epic fapping at volume

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Likely the poor damping factor of tube amplification contributed to that impression.
This is the reason the ADS L1590/2 are gone. Sure they were a good speaker but my tube amps didn't like driving the dual woofers and the bass was flabby. I can live with the DQ-10/Magnepan/Time Window sound and not have to deal with flabby bass when enjoying the tube amps.

Bob Boyer

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
I always seem to listening to Joe also Bob.
For those of us who have no experience in how circuits actually work (building a Dynaco kit 45 years ago does not count) and who know only what their ears, a few reviews that can be triangulated to try to cut down on biases, and a few technical articles tell us - Joe can be invaluable. Fortunately, you guys go working on this stuff and all I have to do most of the time is just listen and I'll pick up something each thread. But every now and then I just want a little guidance on the basic principles which means I gotta ask.

And this is a comfortable place to ask.

Last edited: