Voltage converters

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Will a 500 watt be enough to power the KX-580? I found some nice ones. Would hum or any thing like that be an issue? I would like to know so I can listen ti this baby.

Larry

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
500 Watts should be enough for about 10 plus cassette decks at the same time. You typical cassette draw about 15 to 30 watts. Now if you are running an amp it may well draw up close to 500 watts. I am not sure if there would be any hum audible or otherwise.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Hi Larry,
Voltage converters come in two types. The Good types and the bad types.
The good ones are heavy and cost more while the bad types are cheap and will do well for light bulbs but for electronics, they are best left alone.
Why is this? The cheap ones cut voltage down using the averaging of the waveform in the use of a Triac like in a light dimmer. Average wise the voltage is the same but when you look at the peak voltage being fed into the power supply it exceeds the transformers ratings as well as has very sharp edges which will be noisy. The Better kind corrects the voltage through a step down or in the case of 120AC to 220AC a step up transformer which is more safe and correct. The transformer will have a VA= Voltage Ampere rating that closely resembles watts but is not exactly the same. Go with a VA rating that is higher than what you will need and you will be fine. I did not want to cause an argument but just to educate you on what is out there.