Vintage meters

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
I love meters, I love gauges, you can never have enough!! Here's a set of 4, three that are just too cool, one is a gimme ugh!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-VINTAGE-N...63?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4b9aab0b#

I'll edit a link to my Olsen meters that I can't find right now, I loved the movement and looks, think of the 3 Simpsons in a dashboard layout...like temp/water/oil pressure above the amp. They don't have lights so, this would be a daytime fantasy...:happy2:

My Olsen meters, can't find them either, in a box somewhere!! you just wrap the bare wire around the speaker output posts on the amp.
http://forums.phxaudiotape.com/showthread.php/496-Meters?highlight=olsen+meters

Last edited:

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five

stuwee

Web, I've always liked those Nikko meters, drop dead sexy!! However, the led tower Mark posted has me thinking. I LOVE the look of it! It would match the modern Summits nicely, they have a blue led light bar on top of the woofer cabinets to show when a signal is detected that you can see through the panels (it can be dimmed or switched off). I can put a black cloth over the front on the new SAE monster to block it's light show, It's not like I need to worry about clipping that beast or over driving the speakers for that matter :laughing7:

I'm very sure my partner will love it, and we all know keeping the S/O happy makes life easier!! He's having to put up with very large speakers and soon a big ugly black box (I think they're gorgeous!!) front and center in the living room. That led tower could be the best $280 I've spent so far!!

stuwee

That was each, not a pair wasn't it?
Each! I thought about getting two but, that might be overkill! I emailed the seller in Slovakia, his english is pretty good but he missed a few key points, I wanted to know if it could be hooked up to an amp with spades or bare wire and not jacked into a laptop like in the video, 2nd email sent, I'm obsessed with this now and got the ok from John who said... "buy it for me, I love it!!"

It's a lot of wires though, and I hate that box...how to hide all that? Maybe a small stand in between the speakers with the toggle/adjustments on it's back panel...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
On top of the amp.....in all it's glory....plenty of room to hide ugly wires...

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Nice- looking meters and dig the illuminated input knobs.
I had to replace the bulbs when I purchased it. Lucky for me I had the preamp so I knew what they should look like. The preamp had it's own problems as the volume control bulb was burned out.

stuwee

But wait... There's more!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DUoX9fDibYk?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(Whoops- video embed still out to lunch... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUoX9fDibYk)
Yer a wicked, wicked laddie are yer not? Markthenabler!! I like the frameboard but, the acrylic tower works better for me, I always wanted to be the light DJ in NYC clubs, as a visual artist, I LOVE that shi9t! It looks like this product is marketed for the PC user at first, then 5 minuets into the vid they show a home stereo use...still awaiting an answer to my Q on that

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
If , when you are on u-tube check the column on the right. I was in there for an hour looking at all the LED light towers out there ....I was amazed .....totally Uber cool.....I will have a pair....one on each K-Horn...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
They can be adapted to come right off the RCA interconnects.....lots of examples out there, you-tube is chock full of em!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
AHA!!!! I now see a use for the spare electronic crossover!! 3 LED light towers on top of each K, one for each of the 3 ways, yep, driven by the outputs of the 3 way crossover, tri-amped LED light towers yeah......

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Lots of plans, and DIY out there....still have a lot of questions...like do you cut your own plexiglass or can ya buy it in any shape, size and thickness ya want??