Updating a PL2000 series I

bobdod

New Around These Parts
I will be updating a PL2000 series 1 after getting the matching PL200 running again (have a separate thread for that one). I've read a few of the threads about folks doing some updates to this unit, and based on that, I am planning on the following:

1. Replace RC4136 with browndog/OPA2134 setup
2. replace all of the electrolytics
3. thorough cleaning

-Does anyone have any suggestions on capacitor choice/selection or a cap list they have used in redoing one of these?
-Any other advice from those that have worked on this unit?

Photos of the unit below:

Attachments

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
as Glen stated in another thread, save your money on the Brown Dog adapter and OPA2134. (I've got a dozen or more sitting here unused). It's a common change but not an upgrade. As a matter of fact, we have encountered issues with changing them out in number. That "Upgrade" has not been proven. I have had better results by changing out the 4136 opamps with the new TI RC4136's. Definitely check/reflow all solder joints and clean all that 40 year old flux off the board. Just pay attention to the caps you remove (hopefully one at a time) as they MAY or MAY NOT match the schematic. They tended to use what they had/didn't reflect shit in the schematic...... Use common sense and don't go too small (voltage wise) with the cap specs. Good luck

bobdod

New Around These Parts
I have had better results by changing out the 4136 opamps with the new TI RC4136's.
Interesting... I didn't realize that the 4136 was replaceable based on all of the other stuff I've read. I was under the impression that nothing new has worked in its stead for the 2000. At $1.44 a piece I'll give the TIs a try.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Carver and PL used the hell out of them so getting a quantity is worth it for me but I rebuild a LOT of gear. A buck twenty three when buying 10

bobdod

New Around These Parts
If replacing the 4136s with the TIs, is it advisable to install sockets, or is directly soldering in place the way to go?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Well, you can't roll opamps since these have a wankered pin out so save the cash. If you have 1 or 2 to do, use sockets. I may do 10-20 at a time so I skip the sockets.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
some of the guys don't like "Whole Sale" changing of parts but I change most everything that I can and why rebuild a board half way? Some don't even like to recap but I change as much as possible since 40 year old junk is 40 year old junk......

dtafil

Journeyman
I recapped my PL2000 last year sometime, replaced all the electolytic caps , cleaned out the pots/switches, etc. Also as suggested above, cleaned flux and literally had to reflow each and every one of the rear RCA solder joints. Broken joints everywhere; when you take a close look, you'll probably understand why. In any event, it's working fine these days for what it is.

IMG_0212.jpeg

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I recapped my PL2000 last year sometime, replaced all the electolytic caps , cleaned out the pots/switches, etc. Also as suggested above, cleaned flux and literally had to reflow each and every one of the rear RCA solder joints. Broken joints everywhere; when you take a close look, you'll probably understand why. In any event, it's working fine these days for what it is.

View attachment 40282
Crappy single sided boards...