Understanding Source Component levels

stereo coffee

New Around These Parts
A often understood aspect of audio equipment is the levels that they output. It may come as quite a surprise to find that the majority of equipment we use, sticks strictly to what is called consumer line level, let me rephrase that to note that it is the media we enjoy that contains the level, and with most cases the equipment similarly just meets the same specification.

So what is consumer line level ? , its popular measurement is expressed as fractions of Volts RMS ( root Mean Square ) and its nominal level is 0.316V RMS , it has a peak amplitude to 0.447V RMS and peak to peak amplitude of 0.894V RMS. In the image we see total compliance to these figures. The light blue trace shows the nominal RMS and the peak in dark blue.

So what about balanced professional audio ? It too has similar compliance Nominal is 1.228V RMS , Peak amplitude of 1.736V RMS and Peak to Peak to 3.472V RMS

Whilst some forum members may have recording studios, and equipment sporting balanced output and input, the rest of us are likely to immensely enjoy consumer line level.

Attachments

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
But is there any difference in noise reduction if the cables are shorter than 10 or 15 feet? I understand it for longer runs, and certainly for mic level signals; just not sure balanced is all that necessary for the short stuff. Now, if as in a studio, even a small one, you're running a lot of balanced mic connections or your mixer, outboard gear, and recorders are set up for balanced anyway, doing the whole thing balanced makes sense.

Other than the Nordost flatlines for my speakers, I don't think I've got anythng longer than 2 meters in my system now. Most of it is 1 or 1.5 meters. Will balanced make any difference at those lengths?

stereo coffee

New Around These Parts
But is there any difference in noise reduction if the cables are shorter than 10 or 15 feet? I understand it for longer runs, and certainly for mic level signals; just not sure balanced is all that necessary for the short stuff. Now, if as in a studio, even a small one, you're running a lot of balanced mic connections or your mixer, outboard gear, and recorders are set up for balanced anyway, doing the whole thing balanced makes sense.

Other than the Nordost flatlines for my speakers, I don't think I've got anythng longer than 2 meters in my system now. Most of it is 1 or 1.5 meters. Will balanced make any difference at those lengths?
Yes it will.

Noise on unbalanced lines can be entirely eliminated by powering a shunt pair of matched encapsulated NSL32SR3 light dependent resistors. This invites also a series pair to form a passive attenuator. The requirements are at least 9v DC @ max of 3ma per pair, arrange attenuation between the L Pad cathodes of series and shunt, and semiconductor lift the cathodes.

As for other unbalanced audio systems, they are very suspect to noise intrusion regardless of length, but much worse where cable runs are longer.

Whilst balanced audio has very good noise reduction, it needs very careful matching to have equal phase ie no leading or lagging, with respect to positive signal vs negative signal. The ideal with balanced is to have balanced audio all the way through. Even then you will find ( by studying schematics ), compromises particularly with DAC's, where the origins of a inverted digital signal is slightly different to its positive.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Excellent technology poorly implemented is worse than poor technology implemented well.
So good quality unbalanced cables are better than cheap balanced stuff? I'm good then.

Only chunk of gear I have with XLRs is my cassette deck that needs work. Yes, cassette deck!

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I was referring to the way the device in question is made rather than the cable itself, but it applies to both.