Two new old friends came in the mail this week

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I received a Pioneer CT-F2121 and Realistic TR-884. So far I've really enjoyed them, especially the Realistic, an 8-track recorder which is almost as good as new so far (haven't recorded yet).

The cassette deck needs a belt for reverse and the Dolby light doesn't light plus it's a bit fast (stable though).

Earlier this year I found a Technics SA-206 receiver with some quirks but none of the were regarding the amp or tuner. It wants to overshoot in seek/scan by 50 kHz (ie 96.95) and it needs some AA batteries for the presets but it's a good little radio overall and was 5 dollars/[attachment=8:3ed0821o]MVC-014S.JPG[/attachment:3ed0821o][attachment=7:3ed0821o]CTF-2121.jpg[/attachment:3ed0821o][attachment=6:3ed0821o]CTF2121 meters.jpg[/attachment:3ed0821o][attachment=5:3ed0821o]TR-884.jpg[/attachment:3ed0821o][attachment=4:3ed0821o]SA-206.jpg[/attachment:3ed0821o][attachment=3:3ed0821o]Stray lamp.jpg[/attachment:3ed0821o][attachment=2:3ed0821o]Unknown wires.jpg[/attachment:3ed0821o][attachment=1:3ed0821o]SILVERTONE 4589 (2).JPG[/attachment:3ed0821o][attachment=0:3ed0821o]SILVERTONE 4589.JPG[/attachment:3ed0821o]

Attachments

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Always good to have more friends!

Does your antique radio work? I have some friends here in town that are into antique radio stuff. There is also a fairly active radio club in the Minneapolis area. They even have a building filled with radio and TV stuff and is open to the public.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Nice score on that 8-track recorder :D , I almost won a Pioneer just like it over at TH years ago, I want one just to have it and freak my friends out. I have every other kind of tape deck except DAT (had a nice Sony, got stolen). I love how the cassette is at an angle like the old Marantz's :ugeek:

And Dayum dude, that Silvertone is Tit's :eek: I freaking love that thing! Thanks for posting the pics of it :tongue: , hows your woodworking skills? That needs to be a showpiece in your home!! Just gorgeous :cool:

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
orange said:
I received a Pioneer CT-F2121 and Realistic TR-884. So far I've really enjoyed them, especially the Realistic, an 8-track recorder which is almost as good as new so far (haven't recorded yet).

The cassette deck needs a belt for reverse and the Dolby light doesn't light plus it's a bit fast (stable though).

Earlier this year I found a Technics SA-206 receiver with some quirks but none of the were regarding the amp or tuner. It wants to overshoot in seek/scan by 50 kHz (ie 96.95) and it needs some AA batteries for the presets but it's a good little radio overall and was 5 dollars/[attachment=8:1tq4vvah]MVC-014S.JPG[/attachment:1tq4vvah][attachment=7:1tq4vvah]CTF-2121.jpg[/attachment:1tq4vvah][attachment=6:1tq4vvah]CTF2121 meters.jpg[/attachment:1tq4vvah][attachment=5:1tq4vvah]TR-884.jpg[/attachment:1tq4vvah][attachment=4:1tq4vvah]SA-206.jpg[/attachment:1tq4vvah][attachment=3:1tq4vvah]Stray lamp.jpg[/attachment:1tq4vvah][attachment=2:1tq4vvah]Unknown wires.jpg[/attachment:1tq4vvah][attachment=1:1tq4vvah]SILVERTONE 4589 (2).JPG[/attachment:1tq4vvah][attachment=0:1tq4vvah]SILVERTONE 4589.JPG[/attachment:1tq4vvah]
I have some tubes laying around once you get around to fixing that old silvertone

orange

Tagline
It works, although the 12" PM speaker I had worked into the original field coil pretty much rattled a tube or two into microphonics so I swapped a 5 or 6" and need to put that back in the old adapter ring.

The original chassis sits on display here in the living room with no coil and frozen up. THAT is from a 4569 cube model, the only other model that chassis was used for, oddly enough as it's a wonderful chassis with three bandwidths and a selectivity switch that also narrows or widens the audio more of less and allows for some sweet sounding reception. The bandspread covers 520-1500 (second BCB-AM pre-1939 broadcasting treaties) plus 1500-1800 I think it says (simplex AM police band) then "Foreign" out to 19 megacycles (MHz).

The cabinet has always been too expensive to restore with complex cracking in the waterfall curves and at least two required book-matching patches and the bezel came with the 4569 chassis...it was all I had as this cabinet didn't even have a bezel.

That is my first local auction purchase and while there was an Airline farm set available for the same $7.50 I stuck to the one Silvertone. This was what I wanted and I sold hanemade caledars to friends and at karaoke nights to replace the chassis. It took months to find it, it's not that common.

I need to finish having a place so I can show it. That's why it's kept out of the way. That picture is maybe two years old but I won it in 2002? before my first rental house came up.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Well, you'll get around to it, well worth the effort and money. I just love it! I can just see you stumbling onto a cool art deco naked lady statue at a flea market and setting her on top of it :love1:

orange

Tagline
I'm gonna continue this thread because I have a second CT-F2121 and it has a nice wooden case, the face is nicer but the bias button is missing and while it plays the correct speed, I'm gonna have to fiddle with the record/play switch because it oscillates mostly on the left but sometimes both. The playback level is better on the right channel, but I get a high frequency tone in the left in playback.

The counter doesn't move for either one. I know they are really old, not all that spectacular but the 2121 does have it's merits and charm and it's about the same size as the 6500 II pair so it stacks well.

If I try to pick spares to sell for parts as is I can never seem to part with the 2121. They are too darn neat, it's like not working.