Tweaking on 2 headers...

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Hey all,

I like working on 3 head decks simply because you can hear the recorded output as you're adjusting. I was wondering... on 2 head decks is there a trick or two "learned" or is it simply one of those record... check... adjust... re-record.. re-check cycles you have to go through?

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
When I recorded my brand-new records I did this: I found a level that in general did not push the meters too hard over 0. I recorded approximately 2-3 seconds from just ahead of the start of the tape and manually rewould a couple turns. If the song was pushing it I'd adjust accordingly and repeat. At the end I'd give it a hard fade for a cold end or slightly slower at the point I found the groove too noisy at the end. 3-4 count/second silence, PAUSE or STOP (depending on the need to record more at that point). On resumption I'd manually rewind part of a turn to avoid any pop from shutoff and preserve continuity.

I mastered backceing! 29 years later I can hear it paid off.

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Good tips, but let me clarify - I mean actual deck calibration i.e. bias, eq, level adjust. I was wondering if there were perhaps test points that could measure the record signals themselves... or does that even make sense with the bias signals mixed in?

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I never touched the inside of my Sanyo except to cycle the stuck solenoids and adjust the meters' relative levels when the right channel seemed off.

I never had to. The results were usually satisfactory.

Since then I've owned a few Pioneers that can automatically adjust.

Can't help you with that.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Jerry, no hard and fast tips, that's the fun of a good 2-header, you have get on your knees knave :whax: :whax: :whax: :whax: and play with it, I had my old Teac A500 down to a science, pause button mixes, ya just get a feel for it. wears the transport out pushing the buttons so much tho

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Hi Jerry,
Yes the 2 head units are a real pain in comparison and they take longer to calibrate due to this. The only trick I learned which will come from a long experience anyway is to get used to the amount of adjustment the POT takes to get a given movement in the result. Once you have this down it will cut down on the many cycles the deck must go through to get to where the calibration is correct.
There is no magic wand on this one.