Turntable Pads

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
Super Cool but don't know it.
I have been reading some about pads for the plater on the turntable. Claims about enhanced abound. I'm looking for some insight here about this and stabilizing weights I see resting on the record in photos of high end systems.

Ric

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
You're opening a can of worms with this inquiry. So many opinions....so many answers. Browse this site and you'll see some recommendations.

I like to make my own mats with cork. Cheap and easy. Kinda don't want to spend $50+ to see if it works. As far as weights go there are different kinds, some may not work well with your turntable. image.jpg image.jpg

Pic of my clamp I use when needed - I don't hear a difference between it and a $150 clamp/weight. Usually use for slightly warped records.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
All I use is a very old Thorens antistatic mat on top of the stock Pio 550 mat, no weights needed. I can crank the WOPL and there is no vibration resonances

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Everyone needs a little bovine tech:

Moo Mat Cowhide Turntable Mat
Moomats !

8041590380_6c7ce2b48f_z.jpg

mooomat3.jpg

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I have been reading some about pads for the plater on the turntable. Claims about enhanced abound. I'm looking for some insight here about this and stabilizing weights I see resting on the record in photos of high end systems.

Ric
Derek uses a cat on top but it requires a very short and stout arm geometry.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
If you crank the WOPL, how would you hear it anyway?
Oh, you hear it if that TT starts resonating in anyway, a howl that climbs uncontrollably! In a case like that, you have to be right there to turn it down or something bad is gonna happen, most likely to the speakers first. The 550 is right next to the right speaker more or less but it's well under control now. I have anti-vibration pads under the TT feet also

Ric27

Journeyman
Tagline
Super Cool but don't know it.
Mat installed

I have my mat from Sleeve City under my stock rubber mat. The new mat is some kind of carbon fiber I think. Don't know if this is orthodox but my records are sounding better. This past week I have learned a few things about ceaning my records AND Stylist. I also found out that I was running a little light on the tracking weight. So with all that behind me in just one week I am now hearing something missing up to this point...... Attack and Decay on the trap set cymbals. Before, for the most part I heard little more than a ticking and hiss. Diggin' my vinyl more and more

Ric:glasses1:

Nick Danger

I have my mat from Sleeve City under my stock rubber mat. The new mat is some kind of carbon fiber I think. Don't know if this is orthodox but my records are sounding better. This past week I have learned a few things about ceaning my records AND Stylist. I also found out that I was running a little light on the tracking weight. So with all that behind me in just one week I am now hearing something missing up to this point...... Attack and Decay on the trap set cymbals. Before, for the most part I heard little more than a ticking and hiss. Diggin' my vinyl more and more

Ric:glasses1:
Good lessons learned, Ric. Cartridge setup and maintanence are critical components to getting the best sound you can get from your LP's. DA MO CLEANA, DA MO BETTA!

Any chance for pics of your mats?

BubbaH

Tagline
---
A good table should have an adjustment to raise and lower the tone arm.

I have one of those mats too, but only use on the table when not in use to keep the dust off the rubber mat. Remove for playing then re install when records come off.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
​Doesn't that change you VTA, perhaps for the worse?
His needle is definitely riding in the groove at a different height. May be a good thing on his table. He seems to find an improvement - a good thing.

If the table has adjustable VTA it would be good to experiment.

orange

Tagline
I thought they REPLACE the rubber mat...as for dust...isn't that what the lid is for?

Were they custom made to play Ball Of Confusion?

BubbaH

Tagline
---
When your table sits beside a 400 watt speaker the lid tends to vibrate. So I simply leave it off and use mat to keep the original mat free of debris.

orange

Tagline
When your table sits beside a 400 watt speaker the lid tends to vibrate. So I simply leave it off and use mat to keep the original mat free of debris.
YOU need a bigger room!

BubbaH

Tagline
---
While that would help a bit, the lid would still rumble. With my setup there arent many placements that can stop the rumble. Even in a big room. Best way to deal with it is remove the lid.