Tree Repair

bill7621

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF, y'all
I have a tree that is splitting where it branches out. It's really windy here. Our house is on a hill and is surrounded by open fields so it gets quite windy here with little to break the wind. Becky and I actually started to call or place "Windhill". Anyhow, if the tree splits we'll end up loosing it and it's too pretty to loose. So I went out today and drilled a 3/4 inch hole through where it's splitting and put a galvanized threaded rod through through the split and tightened it up. I couldn't draw it completely together, but got it close for now. At least it'll strengthen it somewhat. I'm hoping it'll eventually grow back together.

Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions on repairing a tree? Seriously!

bill7621

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF, y'all
Yeah, I put some big washers behind the nuts. Not sure what a boomer is. I'm really hoping it'll grow back together. I'm going to have to talk to some tree people.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
saw this a while back: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20822555,00.html

besides reinforcing the trunk below the crotch, they through bolted and cabled the limbs together above it.
This is great advise! Along with
[h=6]"This is a job best left to a professional arborist", so be prepared for a hefty bill.[/h]When I was a wee lad I had a favorite tree near my Gramps place, it was huge and I loved it, it slowly died from Dutch Elm Disease, I hope you save yours!!

bill7621

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF, y'all
That's a good video...thanks. I'll look into that. That might be what I have to do. I mean have done. I could probably do that, but with my luck I'd end up falling out! Then I'd be the one with the broken limb...or worse:angel9:

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
The threaded rod should work just fine. The tree will grow around and eventually swallow the washers and bolts.