Transformer buzz- should I worry about it?

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
My transformer buzzes. Not objectionably, but I do hear a 60Hz "heartbeat" coming from the back. It just sounds like a clothes iron or an electric train transformer that's been energized.

Anyone else? It's a PL400/II.

Is it an imminent sign of death?

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Try tightening down the bolts that hold the tranny in place? If it was a Carver, I would know what you mean with the mag coil. Not familiar with the PL400 II so I am not sure

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I've had this happen on every Harman Kardon CD-5 cassette deck I've ever owned.

Is it delamination?

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Is it delamination?
Ferrite stacks don't show any separation. The bolts holding it on do show some rust, though. As I said, it isn't objectionable, it's not even all that loud, it just bothers me that it's there.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Get a 7/16 wrench and a ratchet and a 7/16 socket and put the tight on those tyranny bolts and stop just before they strip. Grade 3 bolts so.......

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
The only time I had a really noisy transformer in something that just would not shut up by messing with the bolts, I loosened the screws on it and brushed a bit of thinned varnish on the lam stacks. I let that run in for a couple minutes and then tightened it up. It was quiet after that. I think the varnish that originally was supposed to be keeping the lam stacks tight had just cracked up over the years and they were buzzing against one another.

When transformers go bad, they get hot and start stinking and dripping goo. If yours isn't doing anything unusual, I wouldn't worry about it.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I've had these amplifiers in my possession and every single one of them had some transformer hum:

Nakamichi PA-7
Adcom GFA-555
Fosgate Audionics 2100
PS Audio 200c (had this transformer sent out for a redip in a vacuum - no change)
Pioneer SX-1280 (reciever-large transformer)
Phase Linear 700B ( Lee's lender )
Jolida 502BRC

& other amps I can't even remember.

It's pretty normal imho. However, some dimmers on lights can cause this or worsen the sound of it. There are filters that reduce transformer hum, but the ones I've seen only work on toroidal types.

Take Care,
Joe

gadget73

Journeyman
Tagline
---
yeah fair point, dirty AC lines make it worse. DC on the power line will also cause noisy transformers.