Too much equiptment not enough usage

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
So I fired up my TEAC a6300 last night worked for about 15 minutes and then all of a sudden the right channel kicks out. So I figure its the preamp that was the problem maybe it needs some TLC. Took it to the bench and went through the trouble first off of removing it from the system. That alone is a project in itself. Did the cleaning and deox and benched check it for an hour. Otay all is good, so plug it back into the system, fire up the TEAC and same thing. Right channel kicks out and sounds kinda distorted. Of course now I gotta take that to the bench and troubleshoot that one:angryfire: This must be the fun part of owning old relics. Don't use them they site there and die. All I wanted to do was do its 6 month rotation just to ensure no failure. Guess I was wrong.:happy3:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Robert: You've just made a sensible conclusion to what most of us members are too afraid to admit and our significant other calls us on - "Why do you need so much of this stuff if you don't always use it?"

There's a comeback for this one if your significant other likes shoes and purses.

Nando.

Last edited:

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
Or antique desks
Or little chairs
Or ugly lamps
Or tennis balls (admitted forth dog but I counted 37 in the back yard last week)
Or just about anything old and useless

She can't complain much....besides some of my crap is sitting on top on her little f@&!ing chairs.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Nice blouses and dresses...

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
That was like my Sony DAC, after being packed up for months pre and post-move, I unpacked it the other day to find it powered up, no signal, just like my Nikko tuner. About the same time, I found that my Cyrus amp (older than my daughter) has some bad caps. :shaking:

NavLinear

That was like my Sony DAC, after being packed up for months pre and post-move, I unpacked it the other day to find it powered up, no signal, just like my Nikko tuner. About the same time, I found that my Cyrus amp (older than my daughter) has some bad caps. :shaking:
Hopefully your daughter's caps are ok. :lol:

30Weight

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Hey,I'm an old relic.....go easy on us :) I'm always rotating equipment thru the system in the office,just to play with the sound.Run across new problems on old gear frequently.The nice part about having an excess of equipment is you have a lot of spares to substitute in when 1 fails :) Did you try playback while listening thru headphones,nothing else connected to the deck? Channel drop out on record? Sounds like the problem my 635 Akai had.Found the usual bad batch of small signal transistors (248's? if I recall) were leaking.Playback + record amps,both.I've found those in equipment other than Akai.....with the same problems.The RT-707 I just bought from Jay is working fine,needs a counter belt,otherwise OK.Did give it a good cleaning and deox prior to test driving it.I can see how they sold thousands of them,nice deck to use.

Nick Danger

So I fired up my TEAC a6300 last night worked for about 15 minutes and then all of a sudden the right channel kicks out. So I figure its the preamp that was the problem maybe it needs some TLC. Took it to the bench and went through the trouble first off of removing it from the system. That alone is a project in itself. Did the cleaning and deox and benched check it for an hour. Otay all is good, so plug it back into the system, fire up the TEAC and same thing. Right channel kicks out and sounds kinda distorted. Of course now I gotta take that to the bench and troubleshoot that one:angryfire: This must be the fun part of owning old relics. Don't use them they site there and die. All I wanted to do was do its 6 month rotation just to ensure no failure. Guess I was wrong.:happy3:
Had an issue with a Pioneer RT 707 with an intermittent in- out of a channel. Turned out to be a filthy source/ monitor switch that needed the usual cleaning/ exercise.

How is the tape itself looking?

Hope you get it sorted soon as that is a cool piece of kit.

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Had an issue with a Pioneer RT 707 with an intermittent in- out of a channel. Turned out to be a filthy source/ monitor switch that needed the usual cleaning/ exercise.

How is the tape itself looking?

Hope you get it sorted soon as that is a cool piece of kit.
I tried different tapes. I hope it is something that easy just a switch needing a cleaning. I just need to get the thing off the rack and its heavy. It will have to be a good day for my back before I attempt to do that.:sad7:
I think I have posted somewhere, my rack set up. Its way up high on the top shelf the reel that is. I figured that way the lest dust will get on it. I might have to reconsider that setup in the near future. I need to get a step ladder to boot to get it down. In a nutshell its way up high. Also don't want the grandchildren playing with the knobs:angry8:

Its an older pic, but that's were it sit in it new surroundings

orange

Tagline
Eminences Wonderful Wall Of Rust Wranglers.jpg

You're lucky. This one has escaped me yet.

30Weight

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Give me a call sometime.I'd be glad to come over and help you wrangle it back down to earth.I'd forgotten about your skyscraper setup......probably is a dust related issue.Gear at the top of the stack always gets a good coating of it.

orange

Tagline
I have had a free 900 series deck in working order promised to me for 11 months now. Perhaps you could make Nick Danger's day. If I mention finding a parts unit I get it. It was too much to hope for I guess.

I am saving data to my external drive for now as I think I discovered why the GeForce 7800 GTX has had these problems (pin pulled out of the Molex on the supplemental power connection that I have to make stay put) and am work on the VGA output with a standard driver and will switch over for a bit.

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
I have had a free 900 series deck in working order promised to me for 11 months now. Perhaps you could make Nick Danger's day. If I mention finding a parts unit I get it. It was too much to hope for I guess.

I am saving data to my external drive for now as I think I discovered why the GeForce 7800 GTX has had these problems (pin pulled out of the Molex on the supplemental power connection that I have to make stay put) and am work on the VGA output with a standard driver and will switch over for a bit.
AH ok..................
Nick if your reading this PM me

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Give me a call sometime.I'd be glad to come over and help you wrangle it back down to earth.I'd forgotten about your skyscraper setup......probably is a dust related issue.Gear at the top of the stack always gets a good coating of it.
Doubt its dust there Lee its covered too.:happy3: Call u tomorrow hope its during a no workie time.......

Tagline
---
I guess that happens to all collectors, but in my case, I try to play at least a C-60 side on each of my recorders at least every other week. Inactivity is the worse enemy of these relics. I don't listen to them all, but I just put in a tape and press play. Leave it there until it ends and that's it. Mission accomplished. If I leave my ZX 9 inactive for more than 2 weeks, it'll start misbehaving with noises, speed problems,etc. Use it all the time, and she's juts a darling. Go figure! IMG_0744.jpg IMG_0716.jpg IMG_0786.jpg

Attachments