These are all Minimus-7s...believe it or not

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
The black one is the original.

The white one is a later RCA branded Radio Shack version, pretty darn close to the same but with a PORT! And it puts out a good deal of air!

The bigger(est) one is the Minimus-7W in walnut...no porting.

MVC-127S.JPG MVC-128S.JPG

The black Realistic and white RCA are close enough for rock and roll. The port should have been included in the first place. While they are all rated for 40 watts and have a pronounced low end that doesn't break up with volume, actually LOVE the loudness switch of my SA-6500 II!

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
​When I owned a pair or two of those, I tried them with a subwoofer, with good results. I consider them audio classics.

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
I have 3 or 4 sets of these little jewels, including the ones I bought new back in the 90's. Sweet speakers and definitely classics. You can always find them for sale on eBay. I recently got all my parts together and I'm hoping to build some updated crossovers for a pair of them.

There's a huge thread on AK for the Minimus 7's. Started back in Dec. 2008 and last post was Mar. 31, this year. Great way to kill some time!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=199790

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I have two pairs of the original Minimus 7 speakers and recently found the speaker bracket set, unused, in the original packaging, from when I was going to surface mount the speakers to the rear parcel tray on my car in the late 1970's.

I also have a pair of Audiosource speakers which look identical to the black Minimus 7 speakers.

Nando.

fitz43

I have two pairs of the original Minimus 7 speakers and recently found the speaker bracket set, unused, in the original packaging, from when I was going to surface mount the speakers to the rear parcel tray on my car in the late 1970's.

I also have a pair of Audiosource speakers which look identical to the black Minimus 7 speakers.

Nando.
I have a pair of Sound Barrier model Concord speakers that also look identical to the black Minimus 7s.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Great little monitors for sure and they are hefty for their size. I have had the wood grained ones, silverish and black ones, always had the brackets but never used them. Can't beat the sound out of these little beasties for the price paid

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
When our local Radio Shack store relocated a number of years ago, the store was selling their old stock of parts. I am sure the replacement 4" woofer I bought for the Minimus 7 had the Pioneer logo on it.

Nando.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Yeah, man- these suckers are phenomenal. I've used them in my RX-7, used them as computer monitors, surround sound rear speakers, and have a set in the living room now hooked up to the TV.

Ports? NO WAY! Acoustic suspension is what makes the bass tight on these speakers.

There was also the Minimus 3.5- smaller single-driver systems that sounded pretty fair in their own right. Can't find those any more.

There's a few people selling updated crossovers for them on fleabay, tempted to get a pair.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I didn't see too much detrimental with the porting and you should consider the sound pressure these things deal with. One would think many a pair has been blown by neophytes and idiots not respecting the mojo. You really shouldn't count on them for the kind of bass you get from 8-12" woofers...this is bottom meant for growl and guts, not thump.

So, NO, I wouldn't play them on Ron's 165 watt ass attraction machine :albino:

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
I have two sets of the 7's. One set I originally bought while in college and the second set picked up a few years back. I also have a set of the slightly large model but don't recall the model number of those. The larger ones are not a nice as their smaller siblings.

Robert