The Latest Installment of "One Thing Leads to Another"...or "My Latest Hecksperiment"

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Being on lockdown, I decided to start a long-neglected project - restoring the Fisher 104 speakers to operating condition. They needed two woofers and one tweeter. I got woofers from a pair of HH Scott speakers, and the cabinets became spice racks in the kitchen. I had tweeters from a pair of original Genesis speakers, a pair of VMPS Tower II speakers and a pair of Realistic/Linaeum tweeters. The VMPS tweeters fit but one had erratic resistance readings and a loose terminal strip. The Genesis tweets could fit, IF I turned them 45 degrees (they're square). Then I saw the Genesis woofers...hmm, the size looked familiar.

I grabbed one of the woofers from that Acoustat subwoofer project. Perfect - it fit the cutout and screw holes. I had it put together in a few minutes and hooked it up on one channel. Compared to the B&W on the other channel, the Genesis was clearer and needed more power (east coast sound). I'll do the other one tomorrow and check the cap on the crossover - the drivers are dated November of 1977, so a cap upgrade will be a good idea. Photos later.

The 104's can wait...I'm excited. Who knows of a good brand/model of cap to use in a crossover?

Last edited:

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I finished the second Genesis speaker - it was a really easy fix, and I wish I'd realized a long time ago that the woofers from the subwoofer were the right size.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
Now for photos. The first photo shows the finished Genesis. The badge was removed, and that is why I thought it was a cheapie at first.

The next photo shows the drivers - perfect fit for the woofer, but the tweeter is the big star here.

Here's the inputs where you can see "Genesis," which was my tip-off. The holes in the spring clips are VERY small, but the Radio Shack pin connectors work.

Here are the tweeters for the Fisher speakers - they were just lying around, and are free. At my age, tweeters may or may not matter much...

Attachments

Lazarus Short

Tagline
The speakers in the shop system, which the Genesis replaced, were the B&W DM302 - MSRP was $250. They, as I think I said, bumped the KEF C25's out of the living room system because they sounded better, and the MSRP on the KEF's was $290. I've got the KEF's listed for sale. Seems price and performance don't always rise and fall together...