The curse of good equipment, or.. Ignorance is good?

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
So a few nights ago the Carver preamp started acting up. Looks like I still have a cold solder joint somewhere that's messing with the left channel.

So I take it down, put up the AV-1 as it can be split between pre and power amps.

"gaaaah"... sounds like music out of a 20 dollar radio.

Take that down, and put up my Onkyo preamp. This is the one that I had put the LM4562 "super op amp" in that sounded sooooo good when I heard it last.

I wanted to puke.. baaah.. Deader than trying to get "funny" with my wife after she's been with my kid all day long.. :mrgreen:

So finally, even though it was buried under 7 decks, I pull out the trusty Yamaha C-60.

Ahhh.. not AS good as the CT-6, but "passable".

I swear... sometimes I hate equipment of a higher "ratchet" than what I used to have back as a teenager. Back then I had a Sansui A-1200 integrated amp pushing about 125 into two Technics SB-L95's. Yup, those fiberboard, mass-market things.. (but they did have the big 15 woofers, so that "did me fine" back then).

When I started back on the road to good "sound" about 3 years ago, I think the 2nd piece of gear I bought was the same exact Sansui A-1200. Before I got it, my first amp was the Nak AV-1.

I couldn't listen to the Sansui... :sign11:

And I had a pair of Infinity SM-122's.. went all the way down to NC on a roadtrip for 'em too.

The Polk SDA's I got a few months later silenced them in a week.

Arrgh... so NO, I don't want to listen to anything better... I'm tired of going back to gear I thought was golden and puking... :tongue2:

(hah, and I am made of wood and my nose is growing too... :thumbup: )

Thought I'd share... gotta fix the Carver, but I'll wait til the weekend. In the meantime, receivers and preamps for sale, cheep cheep! :snorting: (hah)

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Yes good equipment can spoil you. So maybe you shouldn't ever come for a visit or bring your wallet. LMAO I am very fortunate to have what I have. Listening to some acoustic right now. It is giving me chills. I am lucky my children are grown. Wife said I can't buy any outdoor speakers though. I am shopping though. How can I work outside with no music? Yesterday sucked no music and staining my deck.

I'm not bragging. I have what I have. I can't complain. I would probably cry if someone stole all my equipment. I do have to get me a Carver pre though. I'm just waiting. I'm so spoiled I have to have music unless I'm watching tv. I should be outside finishing the deck; but I'm inside cranking some good jam. I'll get bored and I'll go outside and do my thing. I do have one outside speaker in the garage. Have to see if it works. Mono is better than nothing. I'm trying to figure out a good excuse to buy the speakers. No holidays coming up for me. I didn't get a fathers day gift. Will that work?

Well I tried the speaker. It didn't work on AC. So I'm charging some batteries I'll try in a bit and see if it works.

Larry

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
The more equipment you own the more this happens. The way around it is to stop plugging in the old equipment. :mrgreen:

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Tonight I finally got around to fixing the Carver back up. Daggone cold solder joint where the volume control cable hits the main pcb.

(awash in sweet, sweet tunes at the moment... :cheers: )

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Web Police said:
The more equipment you own the more this happens. The way around it is to stop plugging in the old equipment. :mrgreen:
I couldn't have said it better Web buddy :cheers: :cherry:

he good thing about separates is you can get by with a swap, receivers no-can-do, speaking of which, my beloved Marantz 2270 I use as a preamp, is acting her age lately, she needs an overhaul, any tech suggestions?

I know it's silly, but I just love that ol' 3 martini sound..... :la: not to mention the pretty blue lights at night :3some:

elroy

New Around These Parts
same thing with my yamaha cx2000, its got something wrong with it, but I dont want to take it out of the lineup cause I am spoiled. I have to run it for about 1/2 hr, on 1 channel, then shut the speakers off, crank the volume nob to 2pm let it sit there for 10 seconds then crank it from half to full about 6 times, turn the volume down, click the speaker switch, and tada, both speakers work, but it shuts off, and have to do it a couple times until it holds. I just dont want to put my old yamaha 1020 receiver in the loop and have to listen to subpar.

elroy

Just got a Musical Fidelity A3.2cr preamp last week. There will be no going back to my trusted Yamaha CX-1000 or C-2x preamps that I've been using for the past 4 years. The MF has kicked them to the curb although the C-2x will now see duty in my headphone rig.

stuwee said:
Web Police said:
my beloved Marantz 2270 I use as a preamp, is acting her age lately, she needs an overhaul, any tech suggestions?

I know it's silly, but I just love that ol' 3 martini sound..... :la: not to mention the pretty blue lights at night :3some:

What does it need done or do you want done to it?

BroonsBane said:
Just got a Musical Fidelity A3.2cr preamp last week. There will be no going back to my trusted Yamaha CX-1000 or C-2x preamps that I've been using for the past 4 years. The MF has kicked them to the curb although the C-2x will now see duty in my headphone rig.

Guess I better go check this pre out.

stuwee

Rex, the 2270 needs a total overhaul, I've noticed a degradation in the sound of the left channel through differant sources, and the phono section has been reversed at the inputs to reduce hum, it's been de-oxited, she is just old, built in '75 as far as I can tell, so it's time :love6:

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
stuwee said:
Rex, the 2270 needs a total overhaul, I've noticed a degradation in the sound of the left channel through differant sources, and the phono section has been reversed at the inputs to reduce hum, it's been de-oxited, she is just old, built in '75 as far as I can tell, so it's time :love6:
Welll... just as I hooked you up on your cool blinkies for the SP, I'm raising my hand again on this one :evil3:

Dun make me have to get :druid: on ya...

I got a scope, meter, and iron and I aint afraid to use 'em. :glasses5:

stuwee

Thank ya Jer, Let me get myself in a better place $$ wise, then I'll take ya up if you still wanna mess with it, I don't care about the tuner functions as I don't use them (Andy aka Acoustic shudders :shock: )

Let's say around September.....?

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Sure thing.. no rush m'man.. Just letting ya know I'm stoked for jobs like this (ones that aint got gears.. belts.. cogs.. or other things that go "sproing!!" when you unscrew 'em.. ) Now.. putting a scope to a signal problem, that's different... :thumbright:

I'll even make the dial PINK.. how-dat? :rr:

(snicker snicker)

If Jerry can't handle it then I could maybe help ya out. I've replaced all the lights and large can caps on my old 2325 so I'm pretty sure I could recap that lil'2270.

Might be better for you to get that Pilot serviced first :cool:

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I thought I had the right set-up 2 Yammie M-50s running through a Yammie C-80 very sweet,,and mucho power,,I was using my love or Hate em HPM 100s and a pair of Infifnty Laurettes Great sound,,, Then a friend Brought me over a pair of nasty smelly Marantz Imperial 7s which needed a complete re-do including the foam inside ,, did the re-furb hooked rthem up ,,Loved them ,,banished the Laurettes to the surround sound system ,, a couple of weeks later a guy tells me he,s leaving town and needs some travel money and am I intersted in buying his Mcintosh MA-6100 at a a cheaper than cheap price,, a MAC and Cheap usually those two words don,t go hand in hand ,,so I jumped on it ,,now I have the Yammie equipment sitting in limbo and am listining to the Mac which of course I,m delighted in,, I think I can plug the Yammies in to Mac but Im just two Lazy to Try,,FF

Attachments

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
jbeckva said:
So a few nights ago the Carver preamp started acting up. Looks like I still have a cold solder joint somewhere that's messing with the left channel.

So I take it down, put up the AV-1 as it can be split between pre and power amps.

"gaaaah"... sounds like music out of a 20 dollar radio.

Take that down, and put up my Onkyo preamp. This is the one that I had put the LM4562 "super op amp" in that sounded sooooo good when I heard it last.

I wanted to puke.. baaah.. Deader than trying to get "funny" with my wife after she's been with my kid all day long.. :mrgreen:

So finally, even though it was buried under 7 decks, I pull out the trusty Yamaha C-60.

Ahhh.. not AS good as the CT-6, but "passable".

I swear... sometimes I hate equipment of a higher "ratchet" than what I used to have back as a teenager. Back then I had a Sansui A-1200 integrated amp pushing about 125 into two Technics SB-L95's. Yup, those fiberboard, mass-market things.. (but they did have the big 15 woofers, so that "did me fine" back then).

When I started back on the road to good "sound" about 3 years ago, I think the 2nd piece of gear I bought was the same exact Sansui A-1200. Before I got it, my first amp was the Nak AV-1.

I couldn't listen to the Sansui... :sign11:

And I had a pair of Infinity SM-122's.. went all the way down to NC on a roadtrip for 'em too.

The Polk SDA's I got a few months later silenced them in a week.

Arrgh... so NO, I don't want to listen to anything better... I'm tired of going back to gear I thought was golden and puking... :tongue2:

(hah, and I am made of wood and my nose is growing too... :thumbup: )

Thought I'd share... gotta fix the Carver, but I'll wait til the weekend. In the meantime, receivers and preamps for sale, cheep cheep! :snorting: (hah)
Helps if you've worked on enough stuff, built speakers as you like them and they've circulated among your friends to the point that even the pwan shop owner will take them and I occasionally buy things back and send them out again.

Since I had a Sanyo 2016 and a black and white 12" fed by a VHS Hi-fi and a Recoton F.R.E.D. I before the VCR (from J&R Music World even) I've been able to take whatever I found and be happy or else make it so I was.

Works for me!

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
orange said:
Helps if you've worked on enough stuff, built speakers as you like them and they've circulated among your friends to the point that even the pwan shop owner will take them and I occasionally buy things back and send them out again.

Since I had a Sanyo 2016 and a black and white 12" fed by a VHS Hi-fi and a Recoton F.R.E.D. I before the VCR (from J&R Music World even) I've been able to take whatever I found and be happy or else make it so I was.

Works for me!
I've been wanting to get into building speakers for awhile. Might just do that with these Infinity Reference Six'es I got awhile back. I'm curious to see what would happen if I converted them over to a bass-reflex design with horns for the upper end. Might create a monster... like I did with a cheesy JBL sub I got for cheap awhile back (that didn't turn out so good, but it's all good fun).

Fast Forward said:
I thought I had the right set-up 2 Yammie M-50s running through a Yammie C-80 very sweet,,and mucho power,,I was using my love or Hate em HPM 100s and a pair of Infifnty Laurettes Great sound,,, Then a friend Brought me over a pair of nasty smelly Marantz Imperial 7s which needed a complete re-do including the foam inside ,, did the re-furb hooked rthem up ,,Loved them ,,banished the Laurettes to the surround sound system ,, a couple of weeks later a guy tells me he,s leaving town and needs some travel money and am I intersted in buying his Mcintosh MA-6100 at a a cheaper than cheap price,, a MAC and Cheap usually those two words don,t go hand in hand ,,so I jumped on it ,,now I have the Yammie equipment sitting in limbo and am listining to the Mac which of course I,m delighted in,, I think I can plug the Yammies in to Mac but Im just two Lazy to Try,,FF

So...you still diggin' the Mac?

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Rex Everything said:
[quote="Fast Forward":1jyoqm7i]I thought I had the right set-up 2 Yammie M-50s running through a Yammie C-80 very sweet,,and mucho power,,I was using my love or Hate em HPM 100s and a pair of Infifnty Laurettes Great sound,,, Then a friend Brought me over a pair of nasty smelly Marantz Imperial 7s which needed a complete re-do including the foam inside ,, did the re-furb hooked rthem up ,,Loved them ,,banished the Laurettes to the surround sound system ,, a couple of weeks later a guy tells me he,s leaving town and needs some travel money and am I intersted in buying his Mcintosh MA-6100 at a a cheaper than cheap price,, a MAC and Cheap usually those two words don,t go hand in hand ,,so I jumped on it ,,now I have the Yammie equipment sitting in limbo and am listining to the Mac which of course I,m delighted in,, I think I can plug the Yammies in to Mac but Im just two Lazy to Try,,FF

So...you still diggin' the Mac?[/quote:1jyoqm7i]
Yea I love it ,Just picked up a nice wood cabinet for it and I did try to plug both of the yammies into it but only one worked so the PRE OUTS are for something else not amp related ,,so I can Only listen to one set of speakers until I can figure out how to fix the problem