Thanks to everyone!

Ronnie_B

New Around These Parts
I started on a mission to put together an audio system based on what I heard about 50 years ago. A friend that was graduating High School was a music fan, as was his dad. His dad turned him loose to buy some high-end stuff for a graduation gift. We listened to various systems, and the one that was memorable was a PL 700b through a pair of Klipschorns. He bought the PL 700b, and had to get smaller speakers (Acoustic Research AR-3A's) to ftt in their den.

Some Khorns followed me home recently that are as beautiful to look at as well as listen to. Thanks to this site, I bought a turn-key WOPL from Glen , and the same can be said for it- sounds and looks beautiful. It has a new chassis and front panel as well as White Oak innards, and the combination sounds absolutely fantastic!!!!

Recently I also bought an early original PL700 which I did a quick check out and have to look into further- it may be OK but I wanted to get to know the internals before I start doing anything with it. The left meter lens was cracked and 2 wires to the light board were broken loose when I got it. The lens is replaced thanks to Glen, and tonight I powered it on- both meters bounced, and the DC is at +/- 101 volts so tomorrow I will begin checking it out.

Also, I lurk around here quite often and enjoy reading about vintage equipment. Nearing retirement now from a career as an EE doing industrial electrical control and power systems, etc., for the last 34 years and am also now reigniting an interest in electronics as a hobby. Thanks everyone!!!

Ronnie

Ronnie_B

New Around These Parts
The stock early amp is working!!! Fixed a few connection problems on the front panel controls. Amp has the original 14A control board and backwards meter scale switch. Original face plate, innards, except power supply caps and possibly 1 set of outputs. Probably will have a WOPL upgrade done to use in the future. Khorns hooked up to WOPL amp from Glen.

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Yup, B+ and B- rails are normally 100 VDC on a 700. The problem is when that DC manifests itself on the speaker jacks. So check for DC on the jacks per the service manual if it's got the original back wall, or per the PDF of it's got the WOAD back plane.
Just saw your latest post as I was typing this. Glad you got it working. But, if it doesn't have a DCP (DC Protect relay board), please don't use it on good speakers.
Your WOPL will have one installed.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
According to the schematic the supply rails are nomilly +/-100 V DC. Am I missing something?

When you say you have 100 VDC we assume you are talking about DC Offset on the speaker jacks. So, to avoid freakin us old guys out, you should indicate that you have RAILS of + and - xxx............. :)

Ronnie_B

New Around These Parts
Ya know there's better stuff to put in those cabinets.....
I have tinnitus from years of
Perry
I simply wanted to thank everyone, including you. And would like to apologize if any of this gets misinterpreted- I meant that I should have been more specific and probably deserve the abuse.
Also want to add, I have a lot of cajun blood and we are often a 'little' cryptic with english. Choot 'em!!!!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Ronnie, no one deserves abuse, and that's not what happened here. We're pretty used to flickin each other shit and being assured it was taken as intended. You'll get the hang of it. Nothing serious, cause there's wayyyyyyy to much serious shit happening in the world to have any here. Welcome and enjoy your time here...

Ronnie_B

New Around These Parts
Thanks Lee! OBTW, my Khorns are almost new and I would have some 'splainin' to do to the contractual spousal unit (wife) if I were to attempt any mods.
Now I am waiting on a part for my new/40+ year old Akai GX635D- looks unused but has a bad reel motor. Possibly infant part failure or someone mixed reel sizes which is a no-no. There are 2 windings in the motor, one with a run cap. One winding reads low ohms, and also read 17 ohms from 1 winding to the other. I used to work with 3000 and 4000 HP Synchronous refiner motors so this is a little smaller...