Thanks Lee and Ben From A Humbled Pioneer Fan

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Hi all,

After work this evening, I came home to discover a carton inside my hall leading to our bedroom. My step-daughter must have taken delivery of the UPS home-delivered parcel while Geri and I were both at work, then Lorna placed the box in a conspicuous place so I wouldn't miss it. I didn't at first make out the sender's address label and there was nothing I had been expecting by parcel, at least not as large as this carton was. But, I had a niggling thought this might be something Lee had alluded to in a post not long ago, when I posted pictures of my system and he felt there was something missing from my system and he felt he would try to correct that.

Conventionally, this thread is meant for members who want to acknowledge a deal for an item or services arranged with another member. I didn't do anything in barter for what I received and I know there are many members who feel close-knit to one another to offer something beyond what a recipient would expect when a deal is made. My gift was a quick action by Lee and Ben, whom I've known for longer than the inception of this forum. I was astonished at what I received, but I'm not astonished by the generosity shown by Lee and Ben. These two have stepped forward a number of times in helping members and enriching someone's audio fetish. I just happen to like most vintage items related to Pioneer.

Now there was a bit of back and forth between Lee and Ben to arrange my surprise gift. Thanks to Lee, who sought Ben's help in logistics, he made the deal with the seller and covered shipping costs. I tip my hat to you, Lee, for your sincere generosity! Ben apparently drove two hours on one of his days off to pick up this item from the seller and then Ben packaged it and shipped it to me. I very much appreciate your time and effort in doing so, Ben!

So rather than a slow reveal, here is my gift:

It's a vintage Pioneer dealer sign and it's built like the Pioneer components of old. It's backlit and has enough lighting I can see well enough to record a tape with the room lights off at night. It measures 10" high by 37" wide, and it's meant to be a hanging sign. I have a few ideas of how to mount it and I intend to show it off once I revamp my present system. I will even plug it into a switched receptacle on the back of my preamplifier, so the sign is illuminated when I power up my stereo.

Thanks Lee and Ben!

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Nando , it looks great!!! It was one of those things that does not come up often and I've been kinda lookin for 2 years. I thought about it even more after Chris called me from his work one night to snipe a Pioneer drawer front that had the name and logo on it, just a beautiful addition to his 2 complete Pioneer racks. Then a month later Ben posts about the signs , the problem was deciding which one...and Ben never hesitated to volunteer his time and energy to make it happen, he would not take any compensation for his time, or gas or nothing, Thanks Ben for helping make Nando's day...

Last edited:

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I pretty much begged to buy the Pioneer car stereo sign from the Radio Shack owners here but it went with the store...at least I got my REVOX.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Sign looks good Nando. Glad it arrived safely. I had UPS pack it after trying to find materials with no luck to pack it myself.

Just glad I could help out to make this happen guys.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
FYI

There is one on AK for sale, I think it's way overpriced but I know nothing about collectible Pioneer signs

"It measures 48" long, 14" high, and 6 1/4" deep and is made of 3/4 particle board. I have never seen another like it. I posted on the forum when i got it asking some info and some forum members suggested it was built for a trade show? since its very well built and weighs a ton. There are some marks on it such as the corners are damaged but overall its in really nice shape and works good.

I'd like to get $450 and if that's too high shoot me a pm and we can work out something else. The sign weighs over 50 pounds so please consider the cost of shipping but i will work with the buyer. I am 3 hours south of Chicago, 3 hours west of Indy and 90 miles east of St. Louis"

BubbaH

Tagline
---
The seller of the sign is a Pioneer collector. He had several silver face Pioneer receivers in the shed that he was storing the sign in. We chatted about Pioneer gear and I had mentioned that the recipient of the sign was a 1980 owner, he told me he had a 1980 and a 1250 himself, in his house. He also mentioned that he had been buying up Pioneer gear from way back when, which is how he got the sign, when the dealer was closing down in the early 80's he managed to buy the sign from their front window.

Northwinds

Tagline
So is he bullshitting about getting the sign recently from a consignment shop then Ben? You say he had it in storage, his ad says differently

BubbaH

Tagline
---
I was speaking about the guy I bought the sign for Nando from. I tried to go back to look at the ad but its gone now. Dont remember what it said, but that is what he told me when I bought it. Are we speaking of the same sign Ron? I have no idea about the one you posted about.

Northwinds

Tagline
Ok, now I understand. I thought you were referring to the AK selelr with the big sign I just posted. The AK seller's user name is jeff spicoli

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
This Pioneer sign more than made my day. There are two marques I have been an enthusiast of since about 1978 - one is Pioneer and the other is Buick. I joke, sometimes, if I was to get a tattoo the Pioneer logo and the Buick tri-shield would be etched into my skin.

Ben: Now that's an interesting tidbit about the seller. From one Pioneer nut to another is appropriate. And I don't believe my penchant for a few more vintage Pioneer components has diminished.

Last night, as I was carting the sign to my stereo room for a picture, Geri and the girls were in the dining room for a Friday night hen-fest. One of the girls caught a glimpse of something I was carrying to the bedroom and said, "Honey, is that a new sex toy?"

Nando.

Last edited: