Testing 1,2, 3 anda 4

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Ed, who wrote the owner's manuals and service manuals, someone in-house or did you send those out?

Some of the language is pretty funny:
Paragraph I-6 General No-No's
"NEVER EVER EVEN BEGIN TO THINK ABOUT PARALLELING THE TWO CHANNEL OUTPUTS TOGETHER TO FORM A MONO AMP!"

- Page 4 Phase Linear 400 Service Manual

Mark Lucitt

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
laatsch55 said:
So Ed, who was your favorite band to mix for live??

Well that is kind of a hard one to answer. Most of the bands I mixed for you probably never heard of as they were local Seattle area bands.
At the time the rhythm section for the band Heart would stop in and jam with the band Child for whom I was mixing. Mike DeRosier who was the drummer for Heart would do drum solos along with Jeff Kathan that were memorable. Mike was always very nice to me. By the way, Mike also worked at Phase Linear in the early 1970's before joining Heart. Mike is in the 1973 Phase Linear Christmas card photo I sent you a while back.

Ed

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
laatsch55 said:
So, ED, who had naming rights on the PL-69 --"Fudder Mudder" board??

If my memory serves me correct the unique names were given by Dave Willard (a.k.a. Rat) to some of the PC boards.

Ed

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
mlucitt said:
Ed, who wrote the owner's manuals and service manuals, someone in-house or did you send those out?

Some of the language is pretty funny:
Paragraph I-6 General No-No's
"NEVER EVER EVEN BEGIN TO THINK ABOUT PARALLELING THE TWO CHANNEL OUTPUTS TOGETHER TO FORM A MONO AMP!"

- Page 4 Phase Linear 400 Service Manual

Mark Lucitt

Over the years I would imagine that a number of people were involved in writing the owner's and service manuals.
If my memory serves me correct the early service manuals were probably written by Larry Winter. Dean did a fair number of revisions in 1981 to the service manuals.

Ed

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
orange said:
Ed, who are you?

I am not sure what to say without revealing every last detail. I could give some philosophical answer.
Let's just say I am a man who likes to work on Phase Linear gear in his spare time

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Sounds like when I adopt the tag "Radio Abby"

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
orange said:
Still have your Corvette?

Someone asked if I still had a Corvette. I never owned any.

I did own a number of Jaguars including: (1) 1962 XKE and (1) 1968 XKE, (1) 1962 Mark II, (1) 1968 3.8S, (2) 1970's vintage XJ6's.
I also owned some late 60's early 70's muscle cars.

All of the cars have been sold over the years as a result of being married and paying for my (2) sons college expenses.

Ed

orange

Tagline
You're not Dr. Strangelove then.

orange

Tagline
So far we've established that he's a good bloke whom I don't know any more about than Johnny Marr so I'll leave it to you when you're ready.

I was exhausted and I'll go back to work and continue that path in a minute.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Did we ever get an answer as to how many Phase Linear 400 Series I amps were produced? I wonder about all the different amps....the 400 Series I, the 400 Series 2, the original 700, the 700B and the others also....the PRO models, and the 200....

Any educated guess would even be good. I just wonder how many units are out there now too, with I'm sure a lot of amps being trashed during the "Dc to Speaker" days...I know the PL 400 I owned was one of the only amps I ever traded in when it was replaced. I've kept the Lux, Rotel, Harman Kardon, and other amps I've "traded up" from. It's weird that I now have racks overflowing with Phase Linear gear, and they replaced a Bryston rack with 4B's and 7B ST amps...

What are the numbers Ed, if you have them, or just an educated guess.....

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Hi Sutton
Rough and tough, based on the serial number data provided there were 6428 PL400 series 1s produced between November 1972 and before June 1974 and the serial number convention change. After that we lose monthly traceability so we open it up to the esteemed committee of forum members here to cough up the highest serial number.

My highest sequential serial number is 12137 (11,137th unit built after the switch to sequential).

That would bring the total to somewhere around 17,565 if mine is the last one ever built (doubtful) and I did my arithmetic correctly.

Joe

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Lee,

I am not sure that anyone knows for sure what the production totals were for the Phase Linear 400's. If my memory serves me correct, George Sheppard was the production manager at Phase Linear. I am willing to bet he has probably forgotten how many were made. Perhaps he would have a guess as to what that number might be. I will also ask Dean later and see what his guess might be.

You may find our archived web site somewhat helpful: http://web.archive.org/web/200807062056 ... erial.html
Unfortunately the links to the serial numbers on the archived copy of our web site no longer works. So here is a scanned copy.

Ed

Lee,

I sent you a response a while ago to the Testing 1,2,3,4 question that was submitted concerning the number of 400's produced.
Hopefully you still have it. I did see that you did post as part of my response the pdf I made concerning the serial numbers. That document will give you a rough idea on how many of the series 1's produced each month. My guess is that there were approximately 20,000-35,000 of the 400 series II produced after Phase Linear went to a sequential serial number.

Ed

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
So, it appears as though 50,000 Phase Linear 400's were produced. Roughly 25,000 Series I's and 25,000 Series II. I would guess the 400 outsold the 700(b) maybe 10 to one, so maybe 5,000 Phase Linear 700(b)'s produced? I have no idea about production numbers, but I'd almost bet those numbers are on the low side. Wish we knew for sure...Don't know why...but just curious.. I would have thought there were more amps produced than that, but I don't guess we'll ever know exactly. Thanks for all the research...I think it is so cool knowing how many there are left for us to buy........