Technics M253X

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
The M253X arrived today, the big brother of the M245X. Heads look good and sound fine, slight adjustment on playback gain in right channel, but not much. As I thought, the mode belt needed cleaning and will be replaced down the track, its the number 1 thing that goes wrong with these units. Much nicer sounding than its little brother. Will have to see how it records, although recording duties are mainly given to the JVC and Denon dual capstan decks. Even still it will be interesting to be able to monitor DBX recordings in real time, bias adjust will come in handy as well. I underestimated the quality of these decks until recently, they really are a nice machine, the AX heads are very very quiet in the noise department.
The smaller M245X is in line for a rew/ff idler tyre but is still working, all in good time. I like the yellow print on the circuit boards of the M253X.

I think that's enough tape decks for now, this makes 22. Yes I am mad. :shaking2:

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Welcome to the Over 20 Club, Derek. For most, it doesn't make sense to have that many decks as the most I have in use is four in one system and four in another system. But, it was always my intention to show case all my cassette decks and other vintage audio equipment in a dedicated audio room I want to build in the present rec room. Is that what they still call it - a rec room?

Nando.

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Welcome to the Over 20 Club, Derek. For most, it doesn't make sense to have that many decks as the most I have in use is four in one system and four in another system. But, it was always my intention to show case all my cassette decks and other vintage audio equipment in a dedicated audio room I want to build in the present rec room. Is that what they still call it - a rec room?

Nando.
Cheers Nando. It makes perfect sense to us and other deck lovers, right? =)) I have a similar idea to yours, but I don't spend much time upstairs because of the heat. In the winter would be great though. Once I have the WOPL, I may put the Bang and Olufsen Beocenter upstairs to use as an amp and set up my decks with switch boxes. Maybe put a lounge up there and make it a deck 'chill out' room, would be much easier than bringing them down stairs to run them up once a month. A proper cabinet would be nice, I do have a dining table up there so could make a start on it sometime. Maybe a small portable air conditioner would solve the problems with the summer heat. The 'rec' room, not a term I have heard before but it makes sense. I normally have 8 decks down stairs in the main setup at any one time, there is currently 6 in the cabinet and two beside my desk for easy access (Denon DR-M4 and Technics M253X). Its so much easier doing mix tapes with the decks sitting near the listening position.

It would be cool to see pictures of your rec room once you have it set up the way you want.