Techmoan got an interesting new toy!

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMu-BoECblE

Synthesizer legend Susanne Ciari has released a limited ~30 minute 45 rpm 12" LP in SQ quad...with a decoder card, in very limited numbers.

The hopes are that SQ the Sansui format (later known as RM Regular Matrix) will finally become the standard for quadraphonic 4-channel vinyl...and Dolby Prologic versions can also do it justice in 'music' mode.

I suppose this is what Wendy Carlos would criticize as a gimmick back in the early daze of quad but it would be cool if it actually caught on and made a difference.

Last edited:

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Not to rain on your parade, but that should resound like a rose petal tossed from the north rim of the Grand Canyon...

orange

Tagline
Yeah...even today it's all mixed up with 3 billion systems from then.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I'm very curious about any tech item
The standards have been already decided by the market :
Vinyl = stereo CD4 , SQ , QS = flop
Cassette ( prerecorded ) = Dolby B Dolby S = never seen
8 Track = stereo Quad 8 track = flop
VHS = Dolby Prologic
DVD , Blue Ray = Dolby Digital , DTS 5.1 7.1 = never seen
CD = 16 bit 44,1 Khz ( Philips -Sony ) 24 bit useless ( it's impossible to appreciate the difference :
you can find evidences in many trials in double blind test )
Sacd : Never tested by me .
The final considerazion is that in these standards you can find everything .
Rebember that , unfortunately , very good composers , soloist , virtuosi are retired or passed away
and that their recordigs were made according the above stansards.
Ciao
Marco
PS: I use the systems devoleped by Carver to obtain " ambience " such as Sonic Hologram , Delay time unit an so on ,
from normal stereo sources . For me the effect is very good .

BlazeES

Tagline
---
8 Track was a flop? 5.1 never seen? Implying that sources above 16 bit are zero ROI and in-perceivable?

Perhaps it is all lost in translation but your post is strange to my eyes. :?

The standards have been already decided by the market :
Vinyl = stereo CD4 , SQ , QS = flop
Cassette ( prerecorded ) = Dolby B Dolby S = never seen
8 Track = stereo Quad 8 track = flop
VHS = Dolby Prologic
DVD , Blue Ray = Dolby Digital , DTS 5.1 7.1 = never seen
CD = 16 bit 44,1 Khz ( Philips -Sony ) 24 bit useless ( it's impossible to appreciate the difference :
you can find evidences in many trials in double blind test )
Sacd : Never tested by me .
The final considerazion is that in these standards you can find everything .
Rebember that , unfortunately , very good composers , soloist , virtuosi are retired or passed away
and that their recordigs were made according the above stansards.
Ciao
Marco
PS: I use the systems devoleped by Carver to obtain " ambience " such as Sonic Hologram , Delay time unit an so on ,
from normal stereo sources . For me the effect is very good .

orange

Tagline
Dolby S was designed based on Dolby SR and is somewhat backwards compatible with Dolby B and C.

I used to have a Madonna cassette single on her Maverick Records label duplicated in Dolby S. It wouldn't too hard to do, a simple outboard swap at the bins.

Quad 8 tracks are almost like a 4 track, doubled. If you advance when playing one on an 8 track player you can get part of two programs every other change IIRC, I have a few 4 tracks.

Dolby Surround and Prologic are the natural descendants of Quad matrixes.

DTS wasn't always there on your AV equipment to use and the company is now part of 'Xperi' and also owns or has something to do with the 'HD AM and FM' now, which is useless on AM anyway, my personal opinion but I believe in 'traditional' analog AM stereo, having experienced it.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I apologize ,Blaze
Only Quad 8 track was a flop .
Only 7.1 never seen.
The SW of this forum eliminates the spaces ( it's correct )
I should have to check before .
I don't use tranlators .
Orange I do agree with you
Ciao
Marco

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Q8 tapes were not necessarily a flop, Quadraphonic itself was. No standardization of an encode/decode process for LP's killed it as did the cash and space commitment for a playback system.

With tapes, no decisions to be made by record companies as to what system to back. Cartridges and open reels were either Quadraphonic or they weren't.

Q8 tapes were overall less expensive than Quadraphonic encoded LP's and absolutely less than open reel. In addition to stand alone Quadraphonic capable tape decks, there existed a multitude of cheap Quad systems dedicated to or centered around the Q8 cartridge.

By virtue of that, I would venture to say that of the three formats of Quadraphonic recordings, cartridge tapes were the most numerous.

Tape was the only format offering true Quad sound as it was accomplished using 100% discrete information.

Not in the least bit important, but the number of Quad cartridges I encounter exceeds that of Quad LP's as a whole.

marcok

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
This little revision of hi fi history sounds good to me .
In other words we could say :
Music = two channels
Movies = multi channels .
For me music is better with " ambience " systems .
Ciao
Marco

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
If I remember correctly, FM radio stations broadcasted in SQ for a short while.

My brother was into 8-track back in the 70s, had the Guess Who on a quad tape. Actually, 8-track was a good format for quad, in my opinion. No song reordering, no songs cut in half waiting for the head to switch- but required twice the length of tape. On the front of the cartridge there was a notch cut out on the top left for a quad player to ID the tape, but since his tape player wasn't quad, you'd only hear half the music. He turned to me once with a funny look while playing this tape- "why do the songs sound different now?"

orange

Tagline
One of our local stations was in QS. I can't recall if the FCC banned it like they did Dolby Stereo for compatibility issues.