Teac R-505 Bi-Directional

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Hi all,

When I mentioned earlier about the Sony TC-K677ES cassette deck I recently purchased at the local mini flea market, I commented there were two other decks besides the Sony ES on display. This is one I did a little research on before picking it up two days ago. I tried the Teac R-505 at the store and it seemed to be OK, so I handed Jack another $20.

Yesterday, my oldest son, Matt, was over and I was busy playing a few pre-recorded tapes on it. Prior to playing it, I gave it a demagnetization and a thorough cleaning of the heads and tape path. Unlike the Sony ES, this one needed a good cleaning of the pinch rollers, capstans, and heads. I, also, removed the case to take a look inside. I gave it a few blasts of air with the "Dust Off" aerosol can.

I haven't downloaded the operating manual for it, yet, but it does have some nice features for a 1986/1987 model. Only a 2-head deck, but it has a dual capstan transport and two motor IC Logic Transport Control. I usually avoid auto-reverse decks, but this one works nicely, with no loss of azimuth when switching between sides using the Super ARHS (Acculign Rotating Head System). It will record in both directions, too.

The specs on it seem to be a bit better than average compared to other decks in this price range.

So today, I tried a recording on it using a Maxell XL II 90 and used Dolby C for the recording. I connected my Teac CD recorder to it and recorded from the 2014 remastered issue of Tragically Hip's "Fully Completely" CD. No bias control for this deck, so I didn't know how well it would record. I will definitely try other blank tapes of about the same vintage as this deck to experiment with.

Click on image to play video:

RECORDING

PLAYBACK OF RECORDING USING MEMORY REPEAT

Nando.

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Teac threw a lot of effort into auto reverse decks of the eighties.

Another nice $20 scroe !

Dazen1

Frankly Nando, I'm surprised you don't start up some kind of business.

You seem to have an eye for gear that is in good condition at giveaway prices. What has so far been an enjoyable hobby for you, could prove fairly lucrative if you have the time to make it work.

Just a thought.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Nando, I need to move to your neck of the woods. Not sure how you find like new gear, but most of what is to be found in my area looks like someone was practicing with a hammer and a chisel. :sad7:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Tony: It's a good little deck. I may be up to another Tape Challenge - "Two-Head No Manual Bias Control Challenge."

Daren: I've made money in the past selling gear I bought for a song. I unloaded a number of components to fund one major purchase. I may be ready to do the same again this year.

John: Primo gear always pops up, locally. I don't even have to travel far to find such nice vintage gear.

The other cassette deck I left behind is a dual-well Harman Kardon DC 5500. Might pick that one up, too, if it runs.

Nando.

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Because that neck of the woods has been sophisticated from the beginning...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The only place where the archeologists have found early man with a walkman in the same grave....

Elite-ist

Staff member
Lee: Neck of the woods? You sound like Jed Clampett. He was into oil, too.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Headline: "Fossilized Skull Of Cro-Magnon Species Discovered With Preserved Sony Headphones."

Nando.

Miracle Mile

Score?

It's a good little deck. I may be up to another Tape Challenge - "Two-Head No Manual Bias Control Challenge."
Sounds like fun! But first I'll have to finish the current project..

Teac threw a lot of effort into auto reverse decks of the eighties.

Another nice $20 score !
642DSC_0298a.jpg

Remember this one?

The V5000 I had was in state of new, and although it was claimed to be a high end deck it was an average performer. (at least nothing to write home about)

You can find plenty of decks like the 505 over here, all in the price range between $2,50 and $6,- so in my eyes $20,- wasn't a real bargain like the 677ES was...

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Staff member
Miles: On paper, that Teac V-5000 should have been a worthy contender, but it wasn't. Whereas, this R-505 is a budget deck that I didn't expect much from and it does an admirable job of playback and recording. You have a knack for finding inexpensive cassette decks, too. Most times, I won't pick up a cassette deck at a thrift store unless I've researched it, or know the brand has a good lineage, like the Sony ES.

Add to the Challenge "...Under $20 Deck."

Nando.