Teac back from sam

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Life is short, so take your time
Just got my teac A6300 back from sam, He did his magic on this and it sounds better than brand new. I think he knows something about these that Teac didn't know. Freq response was 22 to 24kz at 7.5 ips. I think a person could do Mach 10 and not worry about resonating into their CD player or turntable with a RTR. I have a Tascam 35-2 that I am going to have him tune next.

fitz43

Veteran and General Yakker
Just got my teac A6300 back from sam, He did his magic on this and it sounds better than brand new. I think he knows something about these that Teac didn't know. Freq response was 22 to 24kz at 7.5 ips. I think a person could do Mach 10 and not worry about resonating into their CD player or turntable with a RTR. I have a Tascam 35-2 that I am going to have him tune next.
For those of us not in the know, who's Sam?

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
When do you let yourself know that you know?
Sam is great. He was a Senior Tech at Teac and now is running his own business. He knows everything about Teac and Tascam and a whole lot of other decks. The man is a wizard and a genius!

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
X-3 REPAIR and Modification

Thanks for the nice words friends,
I had just figured out how to modify a X-3 so that the dead transport switches in the unit that normally make it unrepairable can be repaired so that the deck runs again. Just thought I would let others know here as well. Of course it is on tapeheads too.
If any have this problem contact me and I can send the Pdf schematic.

Attachments

Last edited:

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Thanks laatsch55,

That deck is not everyones' cup of tea and there are alot of better models to choose from if you have the money but there are people that have bought clean looking decks from off Ebay and just a little down the road find out that the service place that they bring it too can not fix the unit- most service places give up too easy and do not have a BSEE on staff to help resolve issues like Skywave TDR does. You don't really need a EE to fix this problem just a good technical background. Well after 40 years in the business, I finally was pushed to make the effort. It turned out to not be that hard.

I am sure that you with the Phase Linear product are doing the same thing in finding the faults and making improvements so that product can keep on working. Remove the weaknesses and the amp is a winner- I recognize this in you and have suggested that when Phase Linear or Carver products are the subject that you are an authority at this. So I have suggested to have you go over the trouble units. of course not everybody listens to me right away. They will eventually.

I am now helping other people get parts for decks from China. I don't know if NakDoc is here but I just sent him some Sony Dolby ICs that were used in a Nakamichi decks that he found for $55 each.
They need not be that expensive if you know where to look. It does take some effort.

fitz43

I am now helping other people get parts for decks from China. I don't know if NakDoc is here but I just sent him some Sony Dolby ICs that were used in a Nakamichi decks that he found for $55 each.
They need not be that expensive if you know where to look. It does take some effort.
Nando,

Weren't you waiting on Dolby IC for one of your machines?

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I spoke with the technician about three weeks ago and the back-ordered Dolby IC for my Nakamichi RX-505 cassette deck hadn't arrived, yet.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I am sure that you with the Phase Linear product are doing the same thing in finding the faults and making improvements so that product can keep on working. Remove the weaknesses and the amp is a winner- I recognize this in you and have suggested that when Phase Linear or Carver products are the subject that you are an authority at this. So I have suggested to have you go over the trouble units. of course not everybody listens to me right away. They will eventually.

Sam, in all fairness Joe is the one making the technical advances in the PL gear, BUT, I am getting pretty good at IMPLEMENTING them. AND, having a ball doing it...

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Sam, good, bad or ugly if you save decks from being parted out and can tame them any you will have saved a lot of people from misery, and that's what it's all about.

Tagline
---
Sam Palermo???? Nahhhh, he doesn't know anything about TEAC....Ha! After 40 years dealing with it, he just re-invented many of them and make them better :bounce:

Sam, please let me know when my Z 5000 arrive in your hands. The guy send it to you directly from Canada. Please remember that my Z 7000 is the next after you fix this one.

Thanks!

El Magnifico

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Wow, a guy that has a Z5000 and a Z7000 makes me thing of me.
Of course the best way to get a notification is by sending me an E mail directly so that when it does arrive the folder is already made.
I have a folder fro incoming and then outgoing as well as a folder for each client. That is why my Thunderbird profile is 20GB large. It is back up on 4 to 6 different units.
I will let you know when it get in. it helps though that I do not have to search through all the contact potentials

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
OK, One of my play test tapes is Father Sarducci at some college- I think it came off of a record.
I like the Avatar.
Thanks, I was assigned the avatar not long after I joined here. Now, that would be going back in time if you have a tape from the LP.

Sam, I phoned the tech just now and he has to remove the deck case to take a look at the part # for the Dolby IC. I quoted the part # you noted. My deck has been in his shop for over a year. The idler tire and belts are factory ones he has in stock, but the chip is the only thing preventing him from completing the repair.

Nando.