SX-980

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
As some of you know, I have an SX-580 (for sale) and an SX-880 (currently in use). Both of which I cleaned up and got working properly (see other threads on that).

I have an "opportunity" to get an SX-980 for less than $1000, with some issues, but they seem to be minor. The 980 has some features lacking on the 880, that I feel are justified. I am just too cheap to pay over a grand for one.

Let's have some feedback on this, and help me decide to pull the trigger or not.

Assuming I do get this, and I'm able to get it working 100% again, my 880 would then be available for purchase. Sort of moving up the food chain, while also learning about fixing these old things, and not being without a working unit in the meantime. win-win from my perspective.

Here is the "condition" as told by the seller:

1. Phono 1. Works
2. Phono 2. Works
3. FM Tuner. Pulls in stations, but for some reason, the right channel is weaker than the left in FM mode, but sometimes randomly corrects itself. Could be a potentiometer cleaning issue?
4. Speakers A. Works
5. Speakers B. Works
6. AM tuner. Antenna present, but no way of testing, because there are no AM stations near me.
7. Tape Monitor 1. Playback works, but was unable to test recording (played a CD player on the "play" outputs. I don't have a cassette deck)
8. Tape Monitor 2. See above
9. Aux. Works (tested with a CD player)
10. Tone, balance, loudness, etc. controls. All appear to be working
11. Cosmetics... Missing 4 toggle switch covers (available from other sources online). Chip out of the wood veneer on back bottom ride side. The rest of the unit is in pretty decent cosmetic shape, given its age.
12. Bulbs. I think all of them are working, but I'm not 100% sure on that. The main tuner dial light works, as do some of the input lights, but I didn't test them all.

I have a feeling a good scrubbing (which I always do) and possible dissassembly of the volume pot will correct the problems, and then a proper bias and offset to finish up. Possibly a tuner alignment would be a worthwhile investment, but probably accompanied by a recap of the tuner board first...

What say ye?