Sutton's Phased Linear White Oaked 1000 Rigg #2

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Well, bubble wrap and packing peanuts is not a good thing. The box was big and awkward, and this amp was dropped----hard-----hard enough to knock the laminations on the tranny out of line. Other than that a very good lookin faceplate. PS caps are too big physically. Sutton I'll take these long Spragues and trade ya straight accross for the Adcoms. Too much cap sticking over the outputs. Some one has done some work on it. New RCA jacks, binding posats and some Nichicon KZ's on the board.
I think I can do better, we'll see.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Outputs are on the left channel----On-Semi MJ 15022's , right channel-- Fairchild FPL 909's. The 22's I have not seen in a PL before. Lots of Fairchild. Some one did indeed try to restore this ol girl.

Attachments

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Lee, I think the laminations out of line was a pre-existing condition. I noticed on eBay that the trannie didn't look quite right, so I think that happened before shipping. Does she have bolts which can be loosened to straighten the trannie up? Probably bent the chassis too, I'd guess. I know someone tried to fix her up before, and yes, trade the caps out. I wonder what failed in the resto work. The ON semis? I think it was the left channel that bit the bullet and quit working...I just hope she is in better shape than some of the other stuff you have ben having to work on. So, how did the previous tech try to fix her? I think I see a lot of non-stock stuff in there. Did he do a major mess up, or just replace parts, and then the thing died? Most interested in learning what he did...but we know why it failed...NO WHITE OAK...

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
So was it a valiant effort to restore, a pitiful effort, or a great effort without the knowlege of the Great White Oak? Tell us what you think of lthe job overall......

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Well they were trying. Looks like they took the re-cap recommendation from somewhere and thought that would do it. Someone got in over their head i think. Now that's not to say I've ever been in over my head, I just knew who to talk to when I was.
All 700 and 400 trannies are bolted, and everyone that has come through here has been loose. Thats one of the first things I do after getting them tore down is get a 7/16 wrench and socket and tighten the bolts on the trannie. Nothing is not fixable on this one Sutton and I won't have as much to do.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Can't wai8t to see what wattage this one is capable of. The first one was 903 watts at clipping? I should be running some serious wattage with two 700's and a 400 or two. Should eventually be in the neighborhfind anound of 2900 watts give or take a watt or two...........

Now I have to find another pair of A-7's, or even more fun.........build my own from scratch...I know Garland can find the drivers, horns and crossovers, I'll just have to build the cabs...probably pretty straightforward except the bass horn lens.....I've never bent plywood before...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Wish you could hear my K-Horns, they are simply awesome. They reached an SPL of 127 last night with your road warrior pushin em. God it was loud, but soooooooo clear.

I would love to have those VOTT and these horns in the same room.......................................

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Yea, something like 3 db additional for every doubling of the power. so for 20 meore db....that would be over 2000 watts to get that additional 20db...

Can you say......melted voice coil, or fried diaphram....

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Holy cow, that is truly fantactic. I bid on the rack handles and the faceplate, but they went for over 120 bucks for the two. I was willing to go a little over $50.00 each, but I must have driven the price up for somebody who really wanted them badly. I did too, but not at those prices. I may have to part out a 700B is one ever comes available on eBay again. Haven't seen one in a while.

So the OERM did 520 at clipping on EACH channel, or was the left a little higher as is sometimes the case?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
That was each, and with a revision to Joe's board both channels now exhibit identical gain

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Now it's time for me to start asking how the second 700Ba and 400SER I are coming along......How are they looking? I know they both looked pretty clean, and the 700 had some work done on it, but I guess the tough part is populating the boards, and getting everything set and tested....along with replacing all the outputs...

Building the fans.....Eating, sleeping, and other life chores..

You know about me and symmetry...

Just playfully pushing.....I know you work about 100 hours a week and have other prople wanting their stuff, and you haven't even been able to play with your own Cali 700's, so understand..I'm just playing..

I'll be plenty happy and busy when the 1000 and 500 arrive..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Yep and you are not the only one who wants to experience these monsters. And here is my philosophy on this..........I do it because I love it. I love hearing peoples jaw hit the floor, as Nando puts it " that knowing smile with about is what to hit them"... and it'll never be an assembly line attitude here, they're all unique, and I dote a lot on them, because that's what I do. It's a hobby, when I'm older It might be a job, but I'll never hurry just to get one done. I'll go for days at a time without touching one because after 15 or 18 hours in the oilfield the last thing i want to do is what I did the other day........ hooked the plus drive in the minus drive hole and vise versa. Ruined one of joe's new populated boards in a nano second. Because I was brain dead from a hundred hour week. It's that time of year when we push to finish work we can't do when it gets cold and stays that way, so , thanks for your patience, and sorry it doesn't happen sooner. Each one seems to be like no other amp when I'm done, each has it's own identity, probably because I keep em so long something is being improved all the time, but that's a cool part about it too. And ya gotta remember, I'm just a parts changer, I'm still kinda fuzzy on just what a transistor actually DOES!!

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Ahhhhh, you are too modest. You are way more than a parts changer....

I really think you and Joe should start a little side business, and re-produce the Phas Linear under another name with his new PCB and all the tweaks and fixes that you have both come up with. Maybe the 1.3K amp is a prototype, and you are already doing it, but I really think someone could produce a 1000 watt amp which is affordable and reliable and make some waves.....but I thought I could sell Turkish cymbals in a mass market too, and I was wrong as hell about that. I racked up some giant losses in that endeavor over the last few years, so maybe "boutique" is the way to go, with little classifieds in the back of Stereofool and other mags...

You could have the chassis, faceplate and transformers made for you and sell the amp for about a dollar a watt...thing would be finding people to put the amps together and test them for ya....maybe China.......nah....everyone else is doing that, and therein lies a bunch of this (I used to say OUR) country's problems...

Anyway, I do understand. You have a huge group of people waiting for these rebuilds. I really wish I could do them. If I had a manual for assembly and testing, and the proper testing equipment, maybe....how much money would I have to spend on eBay to get the needed equipment? I'm serious about trying...but I just don't know where to start. I know I'd probably try to buy the White Oak boards already populated...and then?? Any possibility Joe is going to write a restoration manual, or just produce the boards? I have wondered what his business model was going to be. Depending on that, it might be a wise thing to buy up all the PL 400's and 700's that come vailable on eBay, but the prices already seem to be rising...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Finally getting along on Sutton's #2.
Resistors in. And if you notice, I have abandoned my Edge card holders.

joe had sent this partial Panavise a few months ago and i got a base and stem built for it tonight. I can tell already

i'm gonna shave about twenty minutes time off of each board by not having to grab a 3/8 and loosen the 2 set screws each time I want to flip the board.
Had some 1/2 inch hex standoffs, went to the sop and chucked em up in the 6 jaw Monarch, and turned em to .4321. Perfect fit. In the baseplate drilled the same sioze hole close to the edge then drilled and tapped that sideways for a 1/4 inch set screw. I also built 3 extensions that will make the vise holder taller if need be.

Attachments