Sutton's 3rd Phase Linear White oaked 1000

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yeah. Got a bug in this one thoughT his is the Cali 700B I got a couple years ago. Just stuffed some caps and Joe's board in it and put it in the rack. We were without a WOPL. I did not have a DC protect relay in it so I shut down and put one in. The DC protect board shorted out on a fuse holder because I had a long fuse in it and didn't notice. So, now we are chasin bugs.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The bug was a positive rail fuse, right side. couldn't see it , had to meter it. Good excuse to throw a Rev "C" board in there. The AP will now have it's way with t for a couple hours.

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Ladies and Gentlemen!!!!! We have a new champeen in the power department!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the left corner, with a rail voltage of MINUS 104.8 volts DC, 546.76 WATTS, yeppers, them are true RMS watts!!!
In the right corner, with a rail voltage of PLUS 104.9 volts DC, 547..33 watts!!!

Attachments

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Lee, I wish you lived closer. I would love to observe and learn from you. You will figure it out. And I can't even do the basics. I need a mentor, and back during my CB days there was a gentleman who helped me with my Johnson Whiteface, and who could have tought me some basic electronics, but I was just too young and wasn't interested at that time. I was probably 10 or 11 and loved the CB thing..My Dad tried to get me into Ham Radio, but I could never get the Morse code memorized, and was not fast enough at sending or receiveing it to get my license. Wish I could go back in time, and learn one tenth of what he knew about tubes and circuits, etc..I think he was a retired TV repair guy or something..I was more interested in building model cars and sci-fi..

Those are some nice output numbers. I wonder why the variance between amps? Were the transformers all hand wound, or is it in the wiring? They certainly don't look like a mass produced item....you can certainly tell they are point to point wired. The RSD, on the other hand, looks like a mass production item, with most everything on circuit boards...I'd love to know more about the history of RSD and how many of those 800b amps were produced..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
All good questions Sutton. Rail voltage holds sway over 90% of it. Ed tells me that even with Schumacher winding them they had some hot ones.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Can you say hot transformer? Or maybe you packed a couple of extra windings in it when it shorted. Wait, short = less windings, nevermind.